Turbo Buick Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has happened to me before with this car and trying to figure out why.
1999 Toyota Camry 4 cyl

16 Gallons of Citgo 87 Oct
NY-NC , 580 miles and I had 1.5 gallons left
No wind, Heavy traffic in VA and NY
Windows DOWN, NO a/c
Mostly HWY
75 MPH avg speed, 2700 RPM

16 Gallons of BP 87 OCtane
NC-GA 385 miles total, 3 gallons left!! where did my 200 miles go??
Some wind, NO traffic anywhere
Windows UP, A/C on 1 step higher then LOW.
Mostyl HWY
75 MPH avg speed , 2700 rpm
car weighed 125 lbs more due to stuff in car..

Whhat would cause such a massive diff?Was it the fuel??? AC? Weight? Combo of things??

thanks
Ralph

·
General Useless POS
1,801 Posts
The AC and the 150lbs probably did it. I wouldnt be surprized if the AC took 15hp to spin the compressor if it was hot out (high side press was high)

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey jim, thanks for the response. I thought windows down would kill MPG more then a/c????

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jim, by the way can you give me an idea whats this part is called?
1997 Lincoln Continental , it has a loud clicking noise inside the interior when ign is on and car running. I found it to be somesort of motor behind the lower part of the dash that brings a rod up and down. this rod is connected to a little armature. what I noticed is that if I dis motor power the AC temp stays at where the armature is positioned at. So this motor/rod has to do with AC temp. I think the motor is bad to do the clicking noise and it makes, the freakinh dash needs to be removed to get to the mounting nuts!! So what is this thing called??

thaNks

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
sorry to butt in but the if its got to do with temperature of the HVAC it would be a blend door acuator

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks AJ, but the actuator is fine. is the motor with the rod that lower/raises the actuator thats making noise. Just dont know the name of the motor.

Quicky1. I rmemeber that (ford trucks I believe?) but forgot the results. but 3 mpg still doesnt add to 200 miles, I would think every application is diff. Maybe my 4 cyl works really hard with the ac on?

Ralph

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
the motor and rod is the acuator and it should be connected to a blend door if im not mistaken

·
Registered
378 Posts
Gnfanatic said:
Thanks AJ, but the actuator is fine. is the motor with the rod that lower/raises the actuator thats making noise. Just dont know the name of the motor.

Quicky1. I rmemeber that (ford trucks I believe?) but forgot the results. but 3 mpg still doesnt add to 200 miles, I would think every application is diff. Maybe my 4 cyl works really hard with the ac on?

Ralph
Yeah I dont know. I was mainly replying to your thought that you got better gas mileage with the AC on.

Jason

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
aka "BDA"????

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Gnfanatic said:
16 Gallons of Citgo 87 Oct
NY-NC , 580 miles and I had 1.5 gallons left

16 Gallons of BP 87 OCtane
NC-GA 385 miles total, 3 gallons left
Why did the gas tank hold different amounts of gas?.

36 to 23 MPG?.
I can see a couple MPG because of gas, and I've seen a 4 MPG difference on a given trip but nothing like that.

Maybe, you were on a slight hill, and didn't notice it. The newer tanks have a huge air bubble in them, and maybe you had it at two extremes, and you just filled the tank with different amounts.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Doc, both fill ups were topped off. It cost me $54 in NY and $43 in NC for fill ups. The "3 gallons left" is am estimate. I might be a tad off there. But the mileage is correct. I am really not sure whats gooing on but it has dont it in the past. One trip i will get huge mileage and then another trip would be disappointing :dunno:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts