Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Someone Crown My Ass!
7,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my car out Sunday with the SMC powered up not knowing what the on setpoint was. I have a dual nozzle setup and I must have tripped it the other day going off of what I witnessed tonight.
I took the line off and disconnected the power to the pump to see where it was coming on via a mighty vac set up for pressure. It was coming on at 8 PSI and I hit it several times the other day sending it to the 20-22 PSI range. I had to go around like two times on the knob to get 14.5 PSI setpoint which is where I would like to leave it. I know some get bog at low setpoints but my car didn't bog at all. I got 0 knock and low 800 O2's. Maybe I should just leave it where it was?
The alchy is new to me but so far I love it! I wanted to go 10's on pump gas and alchy so next Friday I hope to make it so. I think 23-24 PSI is in the bag with this setup. I was running the ME-16 on the low timing setting so I need to see how it acts at 24 degrees.

BTW- What is the preferred method to check the on setpoint for a double pumper? I think I want it somewhere in the 15 PSI range also.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I try to set mine to come on as late as possible which is usually around 14-15#. The hotter it gets the later the turn on point and lower the FP. I don't pay much attnetion to O2V. I tune by knock and EGT.

Good luck,

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Hank--What EGT do you shoot for? I find that my max EGT happens during launch and not during the WOT run. This is because I lean out the fuel for spool up. Is this true for your car? Thanks.

CallMeMud---My turn on point is also in the 14-15# area. I don't get any bog with my single nozzle.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I don't even know what the temp is during the launch! I just set the gage to record max and I assumed that was WOT is third gear. My car likes the 1460* range. I know that sounds a bit 'cool' but I'm tickling the knock detector so I think I'm on the edge.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Thanks Hank. My car likes 1550-1580 range and that seems to happen at spool up. I will have to try to watch the EGT gauge during a run and see what temps I see at the end of the run.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
normally, mine is 12-14# for kick in. Later you can get buy with it, the better, I think.

·
Registered
218 Posts
The more I think about the EGT as you spool for the launch, it be hotter than during the actual pass? No alcohol is being injected and no kind of cooling effect from lack of motion. I think the best indicator is during a WOT pass. I am not concerned about knock or EGT leaving the line, it is third gear where it can lean out and get the EGT up there...........IMO where the concern and tuning concentration should be considered.

Steve - the later the better in this case. Lean is mean!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts