Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, you ever have one of those days when you are trying to do something good and screw up everything?
Well the other day I was installing a new GM O2 sensor and taking out the Caspers heated one to see if the car ran better with it. So as I'm disconnecting the wire on the back of the alternator it slips out of my hand and touches the side causing it to short out (spark)
I know, I know "disconnect the battery dumbass" So now the car hasn't been right, so what did I screw up?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Your ignition was'nt on was it? What are the symptons?
Yes I've grounded out the alternator too.I guess I was lucky ,because I had no problems.
Probably could be anything electrical from chip to ecm. Need more info to even try to figure out.
Does it start? run bad or give any codes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you mean was the car on or key in ignition then no. Car runs, starts, alt charges, no codes. I have changed the chip but car doesn't run like before. It seems to stumble, hesitate, poor driveabilty. Current chip is Thrasher 92 because it runs best with it, but this wasn't the chip in there at the time of my stupidity.I've been getting wacky data on both scanmaster and TLink like RPM's all over the place, MPH at 124 at idle, things like that, none of these show up on actual gauges.
Thanks in advance.
Matt

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
If you didn't reset the power through the fuse for the ECM when changing the chip now is a good time to try it.

If you have a spare ECM I'd try that too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Salvage, I did reset the computer many times since then while changing chips. Is there something specific about our ECM's? I know I would have to swap my calpack and prom, but can I just get a remanufactured ECM at the local parts store like Autozone etc..?
Matt

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
I bought my spare for the Direct Scan modifications from board memeber John Dicarlo or RedRegalT.

Don't know about remans. from the parts store???

One thing to check is for a bent pin on the chip itself look under the carrier to see that ALL the legs are straight and engaging into the socket properly. Very important.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts