Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been playing around with my car this week and I get around 20 lbs and no knocks,I hit 21 some times on cooler evenings and I get around 1.4 to 2 drg knock.It runs a little rich at the bottom(around840 o2) and I put the trans plus to 4% and 8% leaner fuel.I'll take the fuel pressure down tonight to 43 or 42 but on the paper it said to around 45 fuel pressure.(found out I have a bad fuel pressure gauge)
So basicly My two questions are
1) does my boost # sound right or should I look for a problem.(No exhaust leaks and I can get around 14 # of boost on the foot brake and it spools quickly)
2) Lower the f pressure and try it again with lower boost and move the boost up slowly until sighns of knock.

by the way I had the intake knifed edged and ported and a one inch spaced welded in.I also have a70mm tb and dog house now.Thanks for your input and help.
Mike

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
I just installed my V4 two months ago and I'm hitting 23psi with .2-.8 degrees of knock on 94. I'm waiting for my SMC kit then I can really turn up the boost and maybe run higher timing.

·
I want a Z06
6,024 Posts
With a Thrasher 92 I was able to run 20psi on the street with 94 octane with stock turbo, ic, injectors ect.

We put on a PT51, 50lb injectors and 3dp and went [email protected] on straight sunoco 94 with a hacked Thrasher 92 for 50s.

Anything under 18psi and the car feels like a sled. I dunno how you guys drive around with 14 and 15psi. I'd buy a Mustang if I was forced to do that. yup

·
Registered
633 Posts
c'mon Mike, we all know it's a chip that's 'hacked' using a hack-saw. :p nah, Jay it's essentially a chip that's been re-programmed.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Guys !I thought my car was reading wrong boost #'s.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
24 lbs 1st and 2nd I scale it back for 3rd and 4th to around 20ish. (I am still playing )Straight 94 pump gas! No alchy, no Xylene, no propane. PTE 44, Dutt. necked intercooler, Power Plate, Trans+ LT1 Maf (mounted in the up pipe) 98 Octane Extender chip (scaled back with the Trans+ but 28deg spk boost in 1st and 2nd gear eek! how I love that "E" chip ) 52# low impedance Siemens. Boost Commander with dual wastegate solenoids. AC CR42 TS plugs Add together all the above mods (Especially being able to adjust the timing and fueling all over the place :D ) and the fact that my car is a lot lighter, and that allows me to get away with the higher boost.

Mike,
Boost sound reasonable, but you may be able to tweak some more out of her.
I would try pulling fuel out with the MAF base setting first before messing with the FP. If you get any low gear knock you can bump up the LoGear fuel (Cell 15)to 10 (8 is the default)Or try the opposite...Leave the MAF base where it is and pull back the LoGear fuel to 6. I guess this all depends at what Rpm range you are running fat.
Just to throw a wrench into the works... If your not getting any 1st and 2nd gear knock, leave everything set where it is and bump up the 1st and 2nd gear Spk Boost (Cell 9) when I first did it it put my car sideways eek!
Personally, I like to run more timing and leaner down low in the low LV8 (load) areas. The throttle response and spool are much crisper.

In a nut shell...Pull some fuel out, back the boost off a bit, keep an eye on the knock gauge, and start to bring the boost back up. Without a WB O2 sensor and EGT gauge we are just playing hit and miss. My car likes leaner yours may not. Every car is different.

Paul

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Paul.I got to play around some more.But I broke some bolts that hold the ac comp in!Never even touched them!I was Installing some other stuff and when I started her up the 7th time Rattle and bang!AC comp was sideways.Fix it tomorrow!
OH YA.I PUT THE gnx RIMS BACK ON YESTERDAY(took of the welds with the 28x12.5x 15 Mickey et streets and the skinnies on the front).PIG OFF THE START BUT At 30 TO 35 MPH TIRES LET loose.I love that!

<small>[ June 24, 2003, 11:14 AM: Message edited by: BigMike ]</small>

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
18 in first and second and scaled back to 16 in 3rd and 4th.

Everyone else should check their boost gauges. wink

20 degree chip. powersix

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Us Canucks are a bit luckier... our gas is a bit better knock resistance wise, so we can get away with a bit more boost. Jay carter actually adds a bit of timing to his chips if he knows the are going to be used north of the border. canada

Paul

·
too many toys
1,206 Posts
Wow thats pretty good.I blew my damn engine on just 14#s.Now that the car is back together,Im driving around with 10#s to be safe until I find the problem rant

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
teamgn87:
Wow thats pretty good.I blew my damn engine on just 14#s.Now that the car is back together,Im driving around with 10#s to be safe until I find the problem rant
I read in your sig that you are running a Pitbull chip...It is a old design and probably has way too much timing, eek! and is causing you to detonate. Pick yourself up one of the current chips from the Jay Carter, Jim Testa, Ramchargers, Eric, Thrashers, and you will be able to bring the boost up. :)
Paul
72 Toyota Celica with an 87 GN drive train

·
I'm the Best!
14,818 Posts
man all you guys are lucky. my car with a 20* timing chip i can run 17psi with very very little knock. i normaly have it set at 14-15 to keep it safe.. why do i have the only gn that hates boost?

·
I want a Z06
6,024 Posts
14-15psi? Watch out for Civics! Is the car even fun to drive like that?

What octane do you run?

Looks like its time for an 18 degree chip and start running 18psi so you don't embarass the GN Legend usa

<small>[ June 25, 2003, 11:01 AM: Message edited by: TTA89 ]</small>

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.