Turbo Buick Forums banner

What a drive home!!

797 views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Just a Six?? 
#1 ·
Leave my parents from a dinner who live about 50 miles away. Cruising along & hit a red light. Car starts to chug & burp with major gas being unburned. Keep going & its fine on hiway but hit the city and same over & over but now happening at cruise speed as well. Ran a few red lights & stop signs but somehow got home! Scary Ride!Scanmaster says
15-Coolant temp low
21- TPS high
23- Air temp low
25- Air temp high
Same thing happened when my last MAF let go. Tomorrow I'll swap in 1 of my good ones & see?
Any other ideas? Is it true if I unhook the MAF it will still run? Also IAC showed 0? Then came back after a bit. What does that mean? Thanks!

#3 ·
Tim,
I'll bet that the MAF is bad but if not how would I check the ECM? Luckily I just ordered a box of parts from Red Regal T last week! Amazing that the final weekend before parking it & of course this comes up! Just 1 more thing on the winter to do list! At least I have the heated space available to work on it! And a beer fridge!
:D cheers

#5 ·
Went down reset tps & iac, put in a good maf & as soon as it runs 5 minutes or so I get same thing. Code 15,21,25? Runs Fine in idle but put it in gear & chug chug dies! Can keep it going if I give it gas but raw fuel pouring out the exhaust! Gonna change chips now but doubt it will help! Maybe coil pack related?? Ideas?

#6 ·
Bad grounds to those sensors.

Splice S666 in the harness. Or perhaps the C100 connector I think the wiring goes through that.

Page 8A-201-6 of the manual shows the location to check.

Easier ohms check would be to each sensors ground to pin D12 which is the reference point ground for those 3 sensors.

5 Volt reference return point at the ECM.

#7 ·
Now it gets worse! Go and change chip nothing then all of a sudden TPS reads 4.94 Period!
Up,down,in,out upside down, inside out you get the idea! Only 4.94! Also new code 24 VSS? Now it wont even idle cause I cant set it! Runs at 3000 rpm. (although smooth) Maybe TPS is bad but all the silly codes?Coolant temp, Air Temp, VSS & TPS High. This is weird! Help! help dunno

#8 ·
I forgot to say that I tried 2 TPS Sensors although I cant be 100% sure the spare is good? I just assumed it was when I put it in my emergency parts box. They both read the 4.94 Thanks! David

#11 ·
I have a spare ECM.

email me @ michael_lis@sympatico.ca or call me tomorrow night after 6pm @ (905)451-6804.

I am in Brampton, however I do go to skool in downtown Toronto (Ryerson) if you want to pick it up off me there on Tuesday.

cheers

#12 ·
Hi

I've got an extra ECM you can try out along with a coil & module. I'm at Don Mills and Steeles if thats close to you!!

I had a bad ECM... stop sending signals to the scanmaster, ran rich in batch mode!! Never did figure out if this was the cause of my continual sputter & die situations on the highway!!! Swapped it out and it ran great until I killed the motor!! thumb_do

I also had a bad injector harness which was causing misfire!!

dave

ps: leave msg on Toronto board if you want to try the ECM, coil/module or call 416-499-3510

<small>[ November 02, 2003, 11:38 PM: Message edited by: channer ]</small>

#13 ·
Code 24 is set with idle at 3000 rpm and NO MPH registered on the speedo. Obviously a result of your TPS losing it's ground.

Might want to check the return ground wiring for those sensors before you check the ECM. wink

#14 ·
Thanks for all the generous offers of the ecm!
I'm now parkedfor winter officially but still want to fix this. I will start with all the grounds & see what happens? Will write down a few phone numbers in case! Thanks again! cheers

#17 ·
I want to let everyone know that SalvageV6 knows his electrical. He was bang on! Problem was the shared ground between MAT TPS Temp Sensors.
He sent at least a dozen e-mails to walk me thru every step of how & what to look for! He used his time to help me, another Buick owner he has never met Save $$ going to a shop! Just want everyone to know that he knows how to find those electrical gremlins! THANKS AGAIN!! cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.