Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm lookig to purchase a GN. but wanted to know where the vin numbers at other than the dashboard, drivers door, trunklid. thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
vin locations

vin #'s are located on the upper dash, trunk ID lable, drivers door label, stamped into the engine block-------drivers side near where the starter would be if it weren't on the passenger side, stamped into the transmission case-----pass side in the upper pan rail, and stamped into the frame rail where you can't see it without removing the body-----you need a special 3 way mirror that the DMV enforcement uses------i made one but it isn't easy

if i were buying a "nice" car i would want to know that it had an original engine and tranny

·
Addicted to BOOST
810 Posts
Where exactly on the frame is it? I've tyied to find it but with no success. I've heard rumors that it's on the left frame rail in the drivers door area.....

·
Registered
195 Posts
raregn said:
Where exactly on the frame is it? I've tyied to find it but with no success. I've heard rumors that it's on the left frame rail in the drivers door area.....
I had my body off the frame and I sanded and repainted the frame. I looked for it on the frame rail but never found even a hint of a vin #. I looked inside the rail closely but I couldn't find it. I bought it new from the dealer in 86. :dunno:

·
Turbocharged BrunoStachel
4,813 Posts
The last 6 digits of the VIN is stamped into the left side frame rail in the door area. I've had quite a few bodies off the frames on several different cars and every one of them has it there. I dont even see how one could read it with one of those fancy 3 way mirrors. The stampings are really faint and there is usually a layer of surface rust and a couple of more layers of dirt to dig through. The frame from my 82 Regal NA car had that number stamped twice like who ever stamped it stuttered. One set of numbers is stamped caddy-whumpassed over the other. Helen Keller couldn't even make sense of it I bet. I would say if the VIN matches on the windshield,SPID label and engine block than you are doing pretty good. The rest of the numbers and locations are moot point IMO.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts