Turbo Buicks banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Resident Embraer Driver
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to the track last night. it was kinda warm out, All runs were done on Torquo 116 octane an M/T 26"/10" ET drags and 24# of boost and no knock at all.
(another powerplate testimonial)

first run out. 8# Launch
60' 1.68
1/8 [email protected]
1/4 [email protected]

second run 9# launch
60' 1.66
1/8 [email protected]
1/4 [email protected]

3rd run 9# launch
60' 1.62
1/8 [email protected]
1/4 [email protected]

4th run 10# launch, she spun a little
60' 1.68
1/8 [email protected]
1/4 [email protected]

I think I just may have myself an 11 second car.
Not bad for being the flagship for the Low Budget Grand National club.

I am happy with my combination and I think I'm going to stick with it for a while.

Joe

P.S. Hey mike can you fix my sig? [email protected]

------------------
1986 Buick Grand National
TA-49 Turbo, 009's, Hooker cat back, CAS V4, Art Carr 3000 stall, BGC 3'' Downpipe, ported elbow and all the other usual stuff.
Buick, Go fast with class
[email protected]

·
Registered
349 Posts
Congratulations!
Your 60's are very consistant. You must have that launch down very well. Whenever I start taking mine to the track, I think that's going to be the toughest for me to learn. How long have you been racing?

·
Resident Embraer Driver
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Been running my GN for about 2 years now, but I think I have about 50-75 time slips

Joe

------------------
TA-49 Turbo, 009's, Hooker cat back, CAS V4, Art Carr 3000 stall, BGC 3'' Downpipe, ported elbow and all the other usual stuff.
[email protected]

·
Dr. Theopolis
783 Posts
Good job Joe. Congrats. Making me think i need some slicks for my GN. I dont think your car qualifies as low budget though. =)

Scott

------------------
86 GN, Blue Tops, TA-49, LT1 valve springs, 8Pos MaxEffort, RJC P-Plate, 2 3/4" ATR DP, ported elbow, Adj FPR, Adj wastegate, Walbro 307 (hot wired), tie down strap, K+N, test pipe, Kenne Bell 2 1/2" dual exhaust, 160 stat, Nitto DR's, Lower control arms with poly bushings, driveshaft loop, Airbags, pinion snubber, line lock, Directscan, Compaq laptop, Alky inj., Pro Torque 2800 stall in another working trans (Done by Victory Trans in Ocala, FL)

Minimalism (its the least you can do)

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
Resident Embraer Driver
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, I think my next goal is to see how well I can do with it on pump gas and street tires. It will give me somthing else to work tward.

Joe

------------------

[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Grannynational (edited April 21, 2002).]

·
Registered
218 Posts
Nice times Joe but with your combo you are just getting dialed in. Your sixties are good but could be a tad better. Maybe a harder launch?

Your set up is very similar to my Ltd. except I like the stock D5 converter. I added a stretch stock location IC this weekend. I would like to see 11.20s at Norwalk in a couple weeks. Thats with pump gas and alcohol.

Keep playing with what ya got. It'll fly even faster if you take the time.

Good luck,

Hank

------------------
Hank Terry
87 GN, 10.95 @ 125, race trim
87 Ltd, 11.42 @ 119, street trim & SMC AI
89 RX7 GTU > GN V6 conv in progress
http://turbocars.tripod.com (PowerMaster sales info & etc.)

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
Joe, what chip are you using? Your times are basically a little off what I had run with the stock turbo at the same boost level and 112oct. Our combos are pretty close, minus the chip and injectors.

I would think with 24psi and a TA-49 that thing should be in the mid 11's. It's not like your short times are off.. but something doesn't add up here.

I also see your 1/8th - 1/4 MPH difference is 21MPH. This seems kinda weak for a TA-49'ed car running a 3" DP. I think it should be somewhere around 24MPH and that is where you would be lower in the 11's around 115MPH or so.

Do we have a restriction in the exhaust somewhere? Or maybe the chip you have is not doing it's job?

Just trying to help here.

------------------

Stock Block, Stock Cam, PTE-52, Champion Heads, V4, MSD50's, TH DP, JayJackson 62mm TB, 16position MaxEffort Chip. 3680# with Driver
12.0 @ 116.5mph w/20psi using 17.9* timing

mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

·
Resident Embraer Driver
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mike, I have been expirementing with Reds chips and Lubrants chips. Lubrants chip was leaning out fierce on the top end so I sent them back to be reburned. I ran those times on the Reds 107 chip.
Also I have the original 87K mile valve springs in the car, I have new ones sitting on my desk back in NY, they will be changed next month.
Exaust Restricion- I am running a ported stock elbow with the Bowling Green downpipe. off the downpipe I still have the Hooker 2.5" test pipe in there. Could going from a 3" downpipe to the 2.5" test pipe out to the Hooker exaust be holding things back?

At the track on friday it was very warm. The water temp was around 180 when I made the first two runs. I made very little changes to the car. On the last run it went through the traps at 111.7mph with the water temp at 150.
I wasnt getting any knock at all, I was tempted to just keep turning up the boost but I thought above 24#'s its just becoming a big hair dryer.

What do you guys think.

Joe

(hey mike, can you fix my sig? [email protected])
thanks

------------------
[email protected]

·
Resident Embraer Driver
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Scottie, I get the Torquo 116 here in daytona, its a bit pricey but Its the only gas that I have used that lets me get down the track without seeing Knock at all. Just a little extra insurance for me.

Joe

------------------
[email protected]

·
Registered
218 Posts
Joe,

My $.02 is first to turn up the boost untill you do see a little knock. I usually see 2* - 4* every pass. I don't like to see more than 5*. I also tune by EGT than O2 volts. I run the Ltd around 1550*.

I doubt that your exhaust is hurting you. I run through a closed BGC dual exhaust but I do have a Precision .63 exhaust housing and THDP. I run Red's 106 chip. Timing is around 22* but I run lots of boost! Between 25 - 26# (on and off the street)!!

You have the right parts, it just takes a little tweak here and a little tweak there.

One more thing that picked up the car is I went to Hoosier Quick Time Pros in a 10 x 27". They really hook and the mph is very near 120.

Hank

------------------
Hank Terry
87 GN, 10.95 @ 125, race trim
87 Ltd, 11.42 @ 119, street trim & SMC AI
89 RX7 GTU > GN V6 conv in progress
http://turbocars.tripod.com (PowerMaster sales info & etc.)

·
Resident Embraer Driver
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Scottie its 7.50 a gallon. I'll be back to play around with it on Friday night.

Joe

------------------
[email protected]

·
Resident Embraer Driver
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The converter is a lockup converter. I have been locking it up at 75mph.

also I have tried the 28 inch ET drags. best mph through phthe traps with those tires is 109 with the same 60' times.
With the 26 inch ET drags I go through the traps at approx 4900rpm. with the 28's I go through at approx 4450rpm

I'm wondering what tires I should run tomarow?
Joe

------------------
[email protected]

·
Registered
345 Posts
It doesn't sound like your motor wants to rev above 5000 RPM. How new are the valve springs?

I'd run 28" tires. I don't know why you only ran 109 with them before, but I doubt they were the reason you slowed down. Its actually easier for a stock longblock motor to pull 28" tires above 105 mph than it is to pull 26" tires (because you are above the HP peak of the motor)

With 28" tires, my car pulls like a freight train between 105 and 115 while it would nose over at 110 with 26" tires.

------------------
UNGN
My Timeslips Page
My G-body Homepage

·
Resident Embraer Driver
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes, slap me hand I am running the original 87K mile valve springs in the car. They will be replaced next month.

Update...Went out to confirm the results I had on the 26's.
ran 12.00, 11.99, 12.00 all with trap speeds of 110 and all had 1.64 60'.
At least the car is consistant

I got the bug, I'll try the 28x10.5's on wednesday.

Joe

------------------

[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Grannynational (edited April 27, 2002).]

1 - 20 of 20 Posts