Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little after 12 noon, I took my daughter home (she was in the office with me today) for a nap. While she slept, I went into the spare room and kicked up a drum beat to jam along with. After probably an hour and a half, I heard her waking up, so I put the guitar away and went into her rom. Immediately I smelled something like a campfire and before I could look aropund to see what it was I saw out her bedroom window that we (our house) were totally engulfed in smoke. The few feet of distance outside her bedroom window that was visible was a very dark orange.....I realize now that it was the sunlight though heavy smoke, but at the moment it could have been fire for all I knew. It's funny how that instinct kicks in where you don't give two halves of a sh!t about anything but getting your child out of danger pronto. I grabbed her out of her crib halfway running and jumped out the back door to head for the car in the driveway. It was so smoky that there really was no telling WHERE the fire was other than close. I had about 15 feet of visibility, I would say. I threw her in her carseat (only half-latched, I wanted to be gone NOW) and threw the car in gear. I rolled out our driveway onto the road in front of our house and wasn't sure which direction to head in....the last thing I wanted to do was drive into the fire. I got lucky when I chose to head east, 'cause after a few blocks I was getting out of the smoke for the most part. After making a million calls, most importantly to my wife and telling her to not even bother coming home, I learned what was going on...and where. A particularly nasty brush fire had broken out and almost made it to my home. As far as I can guess, there were several hundred acres right around us that burned. It made it as close as about 100 feet from my house. After it got under control, I was able to head back over that way (the neighborhood, obviously, had been officially ordered to evacuate) and snap a few pics. With the smoke clear and the fires out one can see it a lot better than about an hour ago, lol, when I was about to soil my drawers. There were a couple of news helicopters circling, so that will be interesting to watch tonight. I got to see our little street (200 feet or so in length) scroll across the bottom of the TV screen at my in-laws house in the list of names for mandatory evacuation. Now that mortal fear has subsided, I'm thinking about how much I like firefighter.....and not in a gay way, so shut up. :D

Attachments

·
Resident Slut
5,477 Posts
Gald you and the family are safe...Man just reading that and thinking how I would think/feel..I would have left the wife to safe the kids..think she would do the same to me. Everything else can burn to the ground, as long as I get my family out :yup: Again glad you and the family are safe..Now go change your shorts, you're starting to smell :crazy:

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
That would be freaky! What do think would be more freaky, seeing flames out side the window or seeing Zap's face?

·
Save me from myself!
3,115 Posts
Man Dat Fema muny would git U sum nice chit.

Seriously, I bet it was some goverment test gone wrong on purpose. They've been reading your posts. :yup:

·
8,392 Posts
wow, you live in the middle of nowhere!

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Middle of nowhere, yes. I'm only half an hour from the city, but can get drunk and pee off of my porch and ain't nobody gonna notice. (As long as I'm not trying to pee out a fire, that's a good thing) They're now saying that it's at least a 1000 acre area. The power is out at my house.....probably a precautionary thing. There are police road blocks everywhere, but I know of some little dirt roads that they, I guess, don't. Funny, while it was looking like my house was going to be burning in a few minutes (after I got the family and the dogs far away) I went back to grab a few irreplaceables- my fave guitar, a stuffed dog my dad got me when I was 3, etc.- I grabbed the receipt binder from the GN and actually started day dreaming about the car being ruined and being able to go Buick shopping.... :(

·
Registered
381 Posts
DCEPTCN said:
Middle of nowhere, yes. I'm only half an hour from the city, but can get drunk and pee off of my porch and ain't nobody gonna notice. (As long as I'm not trying to pee out a fire, that's a good thing) They're now saying that it's at least a 1000 acre area. The power is out at my house.....probably a precautionary thing. There are police road blocks everywhere, but I know of some little dirt roads that they, I guess, don't. Funny, while it was looking like my house was going to be burning in a few minutes (after I got the family and the dogs far away) I went back to grab a few irreplaceables- my fave guitar, a stuffed dog my dad got me when I was 3, etc.- I grabbed the receipt binder from the GN and actually started day dreaming about the car being ruined and being able to go Buick shopping.... :(

I hope you grabbed your cherished butt plug collection!!!!

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ledzeppac said:
I hope you grabbed your cherished butt plug collection!!!!
Your fathers are borrowing them.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Glad everything worked out for ya. Those long straight roads look great for tuning Buick :yup:

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
1NASTY69Z said:
Glad everything worked out for ya. Those long straight roads look great for tuning Buick :yup:
Yep, and it's about a quarter mile to my turn around point at the next road. :yup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts