Turbo Buick Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Original Owner
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I was going to fix my A/C !!!

I had the compressor moved out so I could get the lines that come off the back of it out and look what I found :eek!: So I have to fix it, so much for getting the a/c working.
Will the jig Hooper made up for 86/87 headers fit mine :dunno:
Also I am going to gut the cat too, is there any special way of doing it :dunno: Does it have to be cut open or can I just break all the internal crap out through the openings with a hammer and a big ass screwdriver:headbang:

Do you think that will make it run rich

Check out how restictive some of the openings are inside. It is nothing a Dremel can't handle. The middle port is wide open it is only the ends that are like this.

Attachments

·
Registered
132 Posts
I took care of my cat with the cat off the car and a big pipe. I have used screw drivers in the the past and done them on the car . Its kind of a pain when they are on the car to swing the hammer .

·
Original Owner
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its welded onto the flange support bracket so I will have to do it in place. What is inside of it?

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
platinum and rhodium dust on the ceramic core , it can wear away off the core and leave the cat useless

mine melted at the front and had no choice but to take a rod to it

·
Registered
132 Posts
The pic above shows whats in it well. The problem with doing it in the car is the angle you need to swing the hammer. I guess on a lift it would be easier. I did my old girlfriends Trans Am on my back in the drive way.

I would jack the car up pretty high on the side and drop the pipe behind the cat and try and push it out of the way. You could use a long screw driver but I would try and find a pipe - I used the upper part of my craftsman 3 ton jack handle. Youl will need to beat the hell out of it but it will start to break up. The problem is you will start to get somewhat large chunks sitting in the housing itself that may not fit out the hole easily. You will then need to try and break them up in the cat itself. You can use a shop vac to suck out the pieces also. For the final cleaning I would just start the car with the pipe off and rev it till everything is out.

Good luck.

·
Original Owner
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can get it off, the bracket is bolted to the trans mount, Thanks Hooper :D
Now putting the headers back on just use copper rtv (I think) between the them and the block and torque to spec if possible. I never heard of copper rtv is it called anything else or will a good the parts store know what it is.

·
Premium Member
6,177 Posts
84GNGary said:
I can get it off, the bracket is bolted to the trans mount, Thanks Hooper :D
Now putting the headers back on just use copper rtv (I think) between the them and the block and torque to spec if possible. I never heard of copper rtv is it called anything else or will a good the parts store know what it is.
Pep Boys sells it Gary.. Ultra Copper. Thin bead on the header and block. I just put a dab on my finger and smear it around. Just look for this...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts