Turbo Buick Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When, if ever, does this become necessary. I had a friend rotate the hogs head on the axle tubes about 90* last week (76 Camaro 10 bolt), wrecked the floor, driveshaft, and split the transmission case in half :eek!: . My car is not the fastest in the world, high 7s in the 1/8th, but I would like to avoid this if possible.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
A 76 Camaro has leaf springs in back, same suspension as Nova. Different loading on the rear end altogether. The coil springs suspension on the Regals locates the rear axle much more positively. That doesn't answer your question, I know, but maybe it helps.

·
old skool
3,738 Posts
this happened to me in a 70 chevelle with a 10 bolt and a 300hp 350! it has coil springs it weighed 3800# it just hooked real hard on the street one day and it happened

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, I should just go ahead and weld the tubes to the housing to be safe? Has anyone had a failure of this type in a Buick? Thanks for replies!

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
I haven't done it yet but plan to when I have the rear out to change gears. My axle tubes weep a little oil, not enough to drip on the ground but you can definitely see where oil has come out of the tubes. I am thinking welding them up will add some strength and seal things up completely.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts