Turbo Buick Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so I'm cruising on the parkway at 65 mph. So I decide to get on it at half throttle. Around 14-15 lbs. I feel the car slow down and it felt jerky at the same time. That sucks! :mad: Whats causing that? I know it can't be the alky flooding the spark because I'm not spraying that much. Would the car be surging or bucking? How do I know the car is bucking or surging? While the car felt like it was losing power and jerky at the same time, I heard a screeching sound, like a screaming banshee on the driver side and thats when the knock detector lit up and I let off immediately. All of this happens in 4th gear only. Whats causing the power loss and screeching sound? dunno What should I check?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
anyone?

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
At 14-15lbs of boost you don't need alchy. Try 93 or 94oct with no alchy ans see if it happens. The noise may be the belt slipping

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmm, could be the belt. Does the belt make a screeching sound when its slipping? ANything else it could be?

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
You got your sparkplug wires on right?

Really. wink

Don't ask me now I know about this. :D

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wires are on right :D

So what else can I check?

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here's the update:

It wasn't the belt slipping and it wasn't the alky. It was the freaking turbo to intercooler hose. It was halfway out! Thats what was causing the car to lose power around 90 mph. Good thing I brought it to Eric Schertz to diagnose. I also had the driver side header welded while the car was at Dynotech so that should help the car run better.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Just wondering, I hear several people mention the d/s header needing welding. Is this a common problem and how does it effect the performance of the car.
dunno

Dan

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well from what I learned, a cracked ds header will affect your spoolup probably limiting your boost. It will probably affect your gas mileage because their is extra air being introduced into the engine that the MAF can't measure. Yes it is common for the TR's ds header to crack because of the engine torquing over and also because of the header expanding and contracting due to high heat and cooling off cycles that the header goes through.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts