Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
So easy cavemen can do it
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is really weird...just recently it started doing this. Say I start the car...I rev it up a little bit, I can hear this creak noise coming from the engine...it only does this when the rpms are at 1000 (stock led tach!)

say I drive downtown and I am just coasting and all of a sudden I give it some gas...I hear the creak noise again...

I opened the hood and had someone touch the gas a little bit while it was idling and I can hear it coming right in the alternator area for sure. The alternator is about 2-3 years old and has been an everyday driver sooooo....could it be the alternator going out? Or is my nasty looking belt? How about the pulleys? Could those need to be changed or something? I know for sure the noise coming right in the alternator area...weird is all I gotta say.

There is no performance loss whatsoever...so I dunno.

------------------
http://www.angelfire.com/in4/d0n_3d/

1987 Buick Grand National (owner since 1997) - 80,000 miles, everyday driver (rain, sleet, hail, snow, its seen it all) engine never opened up, basic bolt on upgrades include:

Cold-air induction w/ 9" K&N air filter behind headlights, Accufab adj. fuel regulator (set at 45 psi), Walbro GSS 307 fuel pump w/ Casper's hotwire upgrade kit, adj. wastegate actuator (set at 17 lbs), 160 degree thermostat, tb coolant lines blocked, 3" Poston's DP w/ 2.5" Hooker exhaust & AeroChamber mufflers, 3" hi-flow CAT, basic chrome engine dressup items, stock rims on BF Goodrich P255/60/R15 all-weather rear tires, newer paint, 30lb VDO boost gauge and 100psi fuel gauge

first track times ever this spring:)

Note to all Ford/Import owners: BUICK OWNZ J00;)

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I need to replace the belt anyways so might as well...if I still hear a noise after I take the belt off, what else could it be? lol why does my car have to be possessed? WHY!

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
1. Get a new belt.

2. Take off the old belt, cutting is quicker.

3. Spin the alternator listen for noises and see that the bearing spins freely.

4. Spin the pulley on the tensioner, see that the bearing spins freely.

5. Replace the bearings that rub, bind, make noise, or don't spin freely.

6. Put the new belt on and you are done.

·
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
IF now I'm saying IF...I have to replace any pulleys...shouldn't I just go with a performance underdrive pulley set like from Poston? Will that work with a slightly modded car and yet still be able to drive it everyday?

------------------

1987 Buick Grand National (owner since 1997) - 80,000 miles, everyday driver (rain, sleet, hail, snow, its seen it all) engine never opened up, basic bolt on upgrades include:

Cold-air induction w/ 9" K&N air filter behind headlights, Accufab adj. fuel regulator (set at 45 psi), Walbro GSS 307 fuel pump w/ Casper's hotwire upgrade kit, adj. wastegate actuator (set at 17 lbs), 160 degree thermostat, tb coolant lines blocked, 3" Poston's DP w/ 2.5" Hooker exhaust & AeroChamber mufflers, 3" hi-flow CAT, basic chrome engine dressup items, stock rims on BF Goodrich P255/60/R15 all-weather rear tires, newer paint, 30lb VDO boost gauge and 100psi fuel gauge

first track times ever this spring:)

Note to all Ford/Import owners: BUICK OWNZ J00;)

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
k...i will keep the stock pulleys...i will just replace the belt..it needs it anyways...there is like barely any threading on the outside of the belt anymore and i know that is not normal...i'll test out all the pulleys and see if the noise goes away...i'm sure it's something minor...

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Replace the belt every 2 years or 20K-30K miles. Or keep one in the trunk.

Spin those pulleys!!!

·
Registered
430 Posts
D0n_3d, i had the same problem as you. I thought my alternator was going bad until I replaced the belt. Creak noise gone

------------------
87 GN Hardtop~ stock motor, stock intercooler w/Duttweiler big neck, TE 51 w/.63 exhaust housing,big mouth cold air induction, hotwired walboro 340, MSD 50's, cold air induction, stock TB and plenum, THDP, 3" ATR dual exhaust, 10 mm Magnecor wries, B&M tranny cooler, performance transmissions deep aluminum pan, Dynotech shift kit, VDO gauges, Autometer boost gauge, SMC alchy injection, PTE remote oil system, ATR 3" maf pipe, scanmaster 2, boost command

·
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well I still haven't gotton around to changing the belt...I think I will today since I got nothing else to do! I hope this is what is causing this odd creaking noise when I throttle it...I wish I had a digital camera, you should see this belt...on the outside there is no threading at all and the rest of the inside threads are all chopped up and I am surprised the belt is still holding on when I start the car! LOL! wow I have alot of minor things that have to be done to this car pronto! the snow has started to fall and I drive this thing all year long (gotta love 10 degree temps for the turbo! feel the power!) for all that have a cold-air induction...you don't know what cold is! this is TRUE cold air induction

------------------

first track times ever this spring

Note to all Ford/Import owners: BUICK OWNZ J00

[This message has been edited by d0n_3d (edited December 25, 2001).]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts