Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Risky Business
6,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed new t-top seals, only managing to complete the passenger side before dusk. I cleaned everything up as well as I could, and installed the new seals dry. They fit snug into the channels all around, but down the backside of the window, theres a little extra length at the bottom. I had to push the retainer clips in slightly different positions as to not bind it up.

Also, on the corner around the top back of the window (softer rubber) doesnt quite seal against the window really well. Down the rest of the back of the window seals right up. And the biggest problem is when the other door is shut and window is up, the pressure when closing the door fast pushes the glass outward, causing it to get hung up on the little piece top front that keeps the window from sucking out on the highway. If the other door is open or window is rolled down, it closes perfect. Are window glass adjustments required for these kind of issues? I stuffed some pieces of rubber hose in the corner part to help seal it, but I'm not big on cutting slits into the weather stripping. I already created some seperation between the soft rubber and harder rubber in that spot. So I put some black super adhesive on the seam.

This stuff is really a P.I.T.A. I read the instructional info on gnttype.org, even though I installed mine dry. If anyone has any info on how to get the window to seal up right, and close right, please inform me!! As for the t-top itself, it seats fine. Doesnt even rattle anymore. Tomorrow I'll check for water leaks with the hose, after they have pressed fit over night. I'm not going to do the driver side until I get the passenger side situated.

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
If your door hinges have never been replaced it's time for that. When I replaced all my weather stripping I did the door hinges and had the windows adjusted by a professional. Also if you installed any rubber other than the GM factory stuff the windows will never seal like the originals. Soft seal is what I used and it wasn't the greatest.

·
Risky Business
6,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Whew.. door hinges?? Thats a body shop job there. I stay away from stuff like that. The hinges dealer available? Something to think about, since the car has always been daily driven.

And yes, I got the GM weather stripping. Just doesnt seem all that great of quality, but I guess thats GM nowadays. Also havent seen the aftermarket seals to compare them anyway. I just need to find someone in the area who works on the power windows. They need a tune-up anyways. (Read: Slow as molasses)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts