Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought an Auto Meter Gauge. Which sensor do you replace with the sender that comes with the kit?

'87 GN.

There is one on the Passenger side of the thermostat housing, with in flat connector on it, one on the driver side of the housing, and on on top of the intake (think it controls the fan).

I'm guessing, you want to swap the sender with the one that controls the idiot light right? Will eliminating the idiot light (and the plug-in into it hurt anything?...like the computer?).

Pics of your setup would be a huge help.

Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
It is the sender by the thermostat that has a single green wire on it. Does not hurt to remove it...idiot light is lost..nothing else. Seems like it is on the drivers side of the thermostat, but, I did not go look to be sure :)

The other sender by the thermostat is for the ecm and it has two wires, I believe. Don't mess with that one.

·
Addicted to BOOST
810 Posts
I took the high speed fan switch out and put the gauge sender in there... with a 160 t-stat it'll never get hot enough to kick on the high speed fan. But I did put a switch in just in case.

It's the one on top if the intake under the throttle linkage, has a single green wire going to it. If you ground that wire the high speed cooling fan comes on. That way the idiot light still works.

·
OK! Who Farted Again??
17,852 Posts
I used the one on the front Passenger side under/near/close to the thermostat. Been like that a long time without any problems.

PS: Why is the Front of intake DS called Coolant Temp Switch & PS Coolant Temp Switch Package? I use the PS & dont know if my idiot lite works or not?
Sorry for the HiJack!! :cheers:

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
The one on top is called a "coolant fan temperature switch"

The one on the front is called a "coolant temperature switch" and turns on at 250*F

The only reason to use this location for the aftermarket gauge is for similarity in reading to the ecm output.

Otherwise you can use the first one, or a plug in the block and not lose the idiot light.

The other one is called a "coolant temperature sensor" and feeds the coolant temp to the ecm.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts