Turbo Buick Forums banner

Wastegate solenoid

583 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Steve Wood 
#1 ·
Ok, one side of the solenoid has +12VDC, the other side grounded by ECM---is the ECM lead normally grounded until solenoid is pulsed to limit boost(intermittently opening up the circuit), or does ECM start to pulse this lead to ground potential when limiting boost(intermittently closing the circuit)?

#2 ·
The ecm pulses the ground. When the ground is open, the solenoid cannot bleed off the boost and that provides the minimum boost as determined by the actuator spring/rod length.

As the ecm provides the ground, the solenoid opens thereby allowing it to act as a bleeder. The more it pulses, the more it is open, and the more boost you have. :)

#3 ·
Ahhhh, therein lies the problem----I was thinking of the solenoid working backwards from that. I will have to break into that circuit then....experiment is coming along Steve! Maybe some results tomorrow evening.

#5 ·
Yes, what Steve said. The ECM does NOT limit boost. It adds to whatever the wastegate rod is set for. If you want lower boost, you'll have to lengthen the rod, can't do it with the ECM/Chip. Some chips add more than others, some chips add more in first and second gears than in third/fourth, but none of the can lower it. Confusing?

#6 ·
Well Steve, looks like the experiment is a success! Can't do any real testing tonight since it decided to rain, but has been tested to the point of proving that I am limited to about 3-5 psi(depending on throttle), and full boost almost immediately after releasing the brake. Can't wait for drier roads for some real world testing and do some recording.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.