Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to break down my engine during my vacation next week and while its apart i want to remove the black paint from my fmic and valve covers..what is the best paint removal that is not messy and less work to use....

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
Any paint remover that contains methylene chloride. It works best and also removes powdercoat. Wear gloves :eek!:

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
honestly for the IC spray with it "purple power" the cleaner- degreaser

when i repainted my PTE FMIC i sprayed it down with purple power a couple times, it bubble the paint right up- then i hosed it off.

and anything you take paint off with wear gloves- although purple power is just a cleaner- without gloves an hour later your skin starts peeling

·
too many toys
1,206 Posts
I used pure acetone in a spray bottle.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I'd say acetone a well, the other two contain chemicals that react with alum. ES the purple stuff. But I guess if you wash it off quickly you should be ok either way.

·
lag,what is that?
2,715 Posts
The product called Auto Stripper works real well. I had painted my front mount black and left it that way for a few years then decided to remove the paint. I sprayed the stuff on and waited 15 minutes and hosed it off, you coud never tell it had been painted. :yup:

The auto parts stores carry it.

·
Will Boost 4 Boobies!!!
2,768 Posts
Aircraft stripper works great, I used it on a set if motorcycle wheels and then polished the lips on the rims. Apply it, wait 30 seconds to 1 minute and wipe off. Definetly wear gloves, this stuff is corrosive :6:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts