Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a Walbro 255, and Hotwire kit from TT, and installed it on my '87 GN over the weekend. Installation went smooth, as I took my time, and I'm pretty anal...
I started the car this morning and it fired right up, fuel pressure went right up to 44lbs at the rail, and stayed there. I check for leaks as I also replaced the fuel filter. All was well, so I ventured out on the maiden voyage. Car ran like a scalded dog as it always has. I got a few miles from the house and realized I forgot my wallet. Always nice to have when you get pulled over
I shut it off in the driveway, got my wallet and came back out to the car. Opened the hood to check fuel pressure again when I started the car. Car fired up, then I noticed the gauge drop as the car started to stumble. Fuel pressure dropped to 20lbs as the car shut off. The first thing I did was check the 20 amp mini fuse that is on the Hotwire harness that mounts to the rear of the alternator. Fuse was blown. I replaced the fuse with another 20 amp, and the car still would not start.
I checked the FP and injector fuse on the fuseblock, and they were fine.
Anyone have any ideas?

·
KILRV6, Chris Fasulo
54 Posts
Did the fuse going to the Hot Wire blow again? If It did you have a short in the wire going back to the pump. Follow the wire back to the relay then from the relay down to the pump and check for a pinched wire to ground.
If is not blown, do you hear the pump come on at all when you turn the key to "run" without starting the car? It should. If it doesn't the pump it not getting power or it is bad. Check all the wiring 1st. Make sure the hot wire relay coil is getting power.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The fuse did not blow again, but the car did not start.
I checked the Hotwire lead from the front to the back and it has not been pinched or compromised.
I unplugged the Hotwire lead and gave the factory plug 12 volts and heard the pump humm... It did not build pressure on the rail as the gauge did not move.
I dropped the tank, and the short hose from the pump to the hangar is still attached. All the wiring looked like it did when I installed it.
Now what?:dunno:

·
KILRV6, Chris Fasulo
54 Posts
So with power to the pump you get no pressure to the rail? Sounds like the pump is bad if that is the case. You should get some pressure if the pump is running.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I put the new pump on the bench and gave it a shot of 12 volts. Sounded like a sick humming noise.
Put 12 volts to the stock pump, and it sounded like it was going to take off...
I think the Walbro died a premature death. Eric is sending me a new pump :yup:

·
KILRV6, Chris Fasulo
54 Posts
Good chance the internals jammed, and caused the pump to draw too much current and blew the fuse. Sucks you had to drop the tank all over again but good they are sending a new pump!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The two numbers on the pump are:
GSS294
O5213-1

1 - 8 of 8 Posts