Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Save me from myself!
3,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is from the top of the solid rocket booster from launch to splashdown. This is definitely a view I've never seen before and it's pretty cool IMO...

Go Here:

http://www.nasa.gov/externalflash/sts-121_front/index.html

Click "Solid Rocket Booster Video"

Some things I could notice: The atmosphere getting more dense as it fell, and the remaining fuel didn't seem to burn until the presense of more oxygen. Dunno if that's the case I was just wondering watching it. Looks like one it splashes down it floats vertically and bobs like a bobber.

·
Premium Member
6,177 Posts
wow that's amazing. A trip to space and back all in front of your eyes. It freaked me out when the rocket first lifted a little bit then went back down before it blasted off. All while we drive to work in the morning. Crazy stuff there. :cheers:

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
bishir said:
This is from the top of the solid rocket booster from launch to splashdown. This is definitely a view I've never seen before and it's pretty cool IMO...
A few other interesting items, is that there is a star shaped cavity the runs through the center of the propellant, and they vary it's cross section to control the burn rate, so that once past the intial burn, it throttles back. And that they light the boosters at the top of the fuel column, rather then at the nozzle like you'd expect.

Cool video..

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
WooHoo! What a ride. Thanks for posting that. :cool:

·
It's a 'G' thang
1,071 Posts
I loved watching that sucker fall back to Earth. It was cool, very cool. I would love to just make that short trip. Don't much care about going into space for right now. That just looks like a fun ride. :headbang:

·
Boost Monster
66 Posts
PhillyTurboSix said:
It freaked me out when the rocket first lifted a little bit then went back down before it blasted off.
What you are seeing there is the famous "twang".
The shuttle is held down to the pad by explosive bolts at the bottom of the SRBs.
The orbiter's 3 engines fire sequentially at T-6,4,and 2 seconds. This initial force flexes the SRBs away from vertical for a distance (about 2 feet measured at the top of the tank), then the SRB bodies act as springs to attempt to rebound past vertical the other way.
When the Shuttle stack approaches vertical on the rebound, the SRBs fire and explosive bolts separate, giving a very nearly vertical launch angle.
Just one of the cool facts about that funny looking airplane.

This was the first time I've seen an SRB video -Kickass!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts