Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Village Idiot
Joined
·
4,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you want to check to see if your info was on the stolen laptop from the VA, go to This Page and enter your SSN in the field and it will tell you if your veterans records were on the database in the stolen laptop.
I wasn't on there but I've been out so long mine were probably destroyed in the Kansas City fire. :dunno: :rant: :sw:
 

·
Resident Slut
Joined
·
5,477 Posts
Thanks for the link..Not there :cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
430 Posts
Steve, how did you find out about this site?

I'd be VERY careful regarding your personal information. On the VA website, there's no mention of any sites that you can enter your SSN into to check if your info was on the laptop- only a mention of a call center, and mailings that are going out to potentially affected members.

http://www.firstgov.gov/veteransinfo.shtml

I wouldn't be surprised if some troll set up that site (or sites like it) to glean social security numbers from an unsuspecting vet......
 

·
Resident Slut
Joined
·
5,477 Posts
That's not really the VA site, it's most our customer service site..been going there for years.
 

·
Village Idiot
Joined
·
4,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The link was sent to me by a very reliable source who is a retired VA employee and the page is on an authentic USAF website.
 

·
Never ending process!
Joined
·
2,288 Posts
Thanks, Steve..Not on the list either..But I got a warning letter from VA and called the big 3 credit agencies and put a "freeze" on my info, just to be safe

:usa:
 

·
Village Idiot
Joined
·
4,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's not specific to any service branch. If you type in your SSN it will report whether or not your info was in the laptop that was stolen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
Thanks Steve, I'm not on the "affected" list
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Great

Looks like they got my info. This is not the first time. Our old First Shirt had a purse stolen and it had a PDA in it that contained over 600 peoples personal info.

Brian
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,124 Posts
montey said:
Looks like they got my info. This is not the first time. Our old First Shirt had a purse stolen and it had a PDA in it that contained over 600 peoples personal info.

Brian
Damn Brian, that sucks, I hope you are keeping an eye on your credit report now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,752 Posts
Thanks for the link. I'm not there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Thanks for the link Steve.....not on there either!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,311 Posts
I got a letter the other day saying my data was involved.
I'll never type my SSN when on line. You never know who might get to it. Like they say, if there's anything you don't want the world to know, don't type it. While folks like to think the net is secure, it's not.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Charles when did you move back down to WR? It has been hit or miss on the boards for me lately I have been so busy with work. Did you ever get the transmission fixed? Hopefully nothing happens with the info they took.

Brian
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
951 Posts
whew... not there.. thanks steve :usa: :cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,124 Posts
montey said:
Charles when did you move back down to WR? It has been hit or miss on the boards for me lately I have been so busy with work. Did you ever get the transmission fixed? Hopefully nothing happens with the info they took.

Brian
Hello Brian, I see that you finally made it back from Germany. :headbang: (You were in Germany right?)
I did finally get the tranny fixed, it was done by Jimmy of Jimmys Transmission in Mundelein Il. I also got a te-44 for it. The car is doing great. :headbang: Where are you at in Georgia Brian? Moody? War Town? or one of the Army bases?

Charles
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Yeah I finally made it back from hell, I mean Germany. I haven't changed my location back since I was on leave in route back to Florida where I orginally came from. I am at Eglin AFB NR3 in in the middle of no where working on a few C-130s. Glad to hear you got your trans fixed. Before I got home from Germany I had the car sent to the body shop for a new paint job and then the trans shop for a freshing up and a bigger stall. Where are you at in WR now? I am heading up to Atlanta at the end of the month it would be nice to meet up with you some where on the way back. Where are you working at now? Back on base? HAHA!!! :headbang:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,124 Posts
montey said:
Yeah I finally made it back from hell, I mean Germany. I haven't changed my location back since I was on leave in route back to Florida where I orginally came from. I am at Eglin AFB NR3 in in the middle of no where working on a few C-130s. Glad to hear you got your trans fixed. Before I got home from Germany I had the car sent to the body shop for a new paint job and then the trans shop for a freshing up and a bigger stall. Where are you at in WR now? I am heading up to Atlanta at the end of the month it would be nice to meet up with you some where on the way back. Where are you working at now? Back on base? HAHA!!! :headbang:

So you dont like Eglin? Yeah, I am back on base, but I dont know man. Its hard as hell to move on to something new if you dont know the right people around here. We have c130's on the other side, those are small, but I guess they must be getting the job done. :D When you come up this way man, give me a holla. So is your car down at Eglin already?
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top