Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This just now started. Overnight. Right around 5-6 psi of boost I hear a very loud high pitched noise, and gets louder with more boost. Car knocks at the same time after 10 psi. Also chrome-molly rings were burning up the oil a little more than usual. What could this be? I am making bowel movements as of this moment due to the noise. Please help.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
have you checked your turbo? Pulled the maf hose off and checked the shaft for play, smooth rotation?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah,I just got in from checking it and I found a big ass chip in the compressor wheel. Or one of the blades has been torn off about half way down to where the blade starts. How could this have been caused? Could it have been sabotage? How in the world does a huge chunk like this just go man? And where is the chunk now?

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
If you're missing a piece of your compressor wheel,check inside your I/C.You may find it there.How old is that turbo?It may have spit a piece of compressor wheel due to fatigue caused by high boosting.

------------------
Give em' hell!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I am putting a stock one on it now. I will send it to Turbonetics to have it fixed. $400 to have a new wheel installed. If you guys have a better idea of how to fix it I am taking imput. The turbo is about 6 years old. The guys at turbonetics said if I have an old air filter, which I do, sometimes the wire that makes up the filter will come apart, or slightly flake off or such over time.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
You check your maf? Make sure the screen did not come apart?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, great idea. Thank you. O just now took pictures of the damages. It seems as though the foriegn material hit the top part of the blades, and chipped one, then the whole bottoms of the blades are gone. I will try and post the pics. Could this have been caused by normal wear and tear? or just "happens over time"?

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
yeah, may have been simple fatigue but it is worth checking to see if any debris came thru.

·
Registered
246 Posts
When I had that same sort of noise happen last year in the fall time it was because my I/C hose at the throttle body came loose and the air was sucking in through that teeny weeny gap....only did when stepping on the gas but not building boost (powerbraking).

------------------

1987 GN: 104,500 miles, 160°T-stat, homemade dual exhaust with Dynomax Super Turbos, Adj.WG, Walbro 340, Adj.FPR, chrome MAF pipe w/12"K&N cone, engine tie-down, SCANMASTER II, 30psi VDO Boost gauge, 235/60/15 DUNLOP GT QUALIFIERS all around, custom chip. Set at a confident 15lbs of boost 14.4 ET @ 91.7mph is STILL MY BEST---- :( WTF?
...BEFORE the above mods were done!

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Thomas? that gap in the hose caused your blades to break?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No, I think he means that the leaks in hoses can cause a similar sound. It has happend to be before, but this time it was no false alarm.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
You have to excuse Mr Wood sometimes he's getting a little seinile in his old age.Its mandatory.

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
Oh,oh.Look out,somebody's in trouble now.
Go get em' Steve.

------------------
Give em' hell!

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Originally posted by fast86:
You have to excuse Mr Wood sometimes he's getting a little seinfeld in his old age.Its mandatory.

Thank you for understanding. You are a great guy from a great state. I don't pay any attention to Zap's emails about you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts