Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I need help with this one. I bought VDO Part# 701-1810 which is suppose to be the 1/8th inch temp sender from a local Napa store.(It does not have the nut on the top to attach the wire like the one that goes in the intake)Is this the right one to go in the drivers side of the block? A small 5/16 square head plug is in there currently. (The sender needs a 1/2 wrench)I cannot get the sender to go in enough to thread, it feels like it is hitting something. I'd swear it is the wrong one, but not sure! Do I need some type of adapter or something? Thanks...

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Seems like you are putting it in the wrong place. You have two choices, I believe.

Standing in front of the radiator, there is a sensor for the temp light immediately to the left (passenger side) of the water outlet. You can put it there.

Or, on the drivers side of the block below the header, there is a pipe plug in the side of the block. You can put it there, also.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Steve, I bought the 1/8th pipe size sender to put in the drivers side of the block, The probe is 1/2" long and the threads are about 3/8" in length. But it seems like it is to long-hitting something on the inside. Could there be some casting possibly? Or do I have the wrong sender. VDO makes a universal sender, but I don't know if it is any shorter. Joe

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
I have installed the 1/8th VDO sensor in (2) different 3.8 blocks with no trouble. Maybe there is a huge buildup of crud in the block right near that drain in the side of the block. Maybe take a coat hanger and jam it in there in hopes to knock something loose. Either that or the sensor you bought is too long?

------------------

Stock Block, Stock Cam, PTE-52, Champion Heads, V4, MSD50's, TH DP, JayJackson 62mm TB, 16position MaxEffort Chip. 3680# with Driver
12.0 @ 116.5mph w/20psi using 17.9* timing

mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

·
Registered
309 Posts
If the threads are correct it should go in...I agree that it may be some build up crud...I had that happen on my high mileage 87 "T"...had to chip away the crap with a small screwdriver then the sender went in fine...

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Guys, I verified with VDO that it is the 1/8 27npt sender that I have. I will check out what is blocking the opening. This would be a good time to get that orange shi... out of the radiator anyway.....

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the help...I know its been awhile but I finally got the chance to flush the system and put good old prestone back in. There was buildup in the threads(probably from the dexcool!)and the sender went in fine once I cleaned up the threads. I got to stop working so dam much. I can't believe its been a month since I got the chance to work in it again! Anyhow thanks again...its alot easier when you know what to look for...Joe

1 - 7 of 7 Posts