Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a tapping noise coming from the left side of my engine for some time now, and only happens under load between 2000 and 2800Rpms. I think it is in the valve train but, not to sure. The noise seems to be louder when engine is at temperature and under load. The engine only has 45k on the rebuild. Has anybody experienced similar problem? Feedback would be appreciated.

·
Whats that thing ?
2,650 Posts
I thought my tap was coming from under the valve cover, but my mechanic pointed out it was a cracked exhaust manifold. Hard to see, as it is on the side that faces the block. (Drivers side is most common with these cars).

Changed the exhaust manifold and the noise went away. You are better off changing it to a used manifold that has been welded (Properly).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ed, Ive have never tested the oil pressure or have a oil pressure guage, yet. As for the cam, I bought the car from a guy who had the engine rebuilt locally and they supposely put a stock cam back in the thing. I think they put an after market mild cam in the car because it cams pretty good at an idle. My car in park idles at about 725 rpm according to my scantool, I can't hear any knocking or tapping in park and car is at temp. I recently changed the spring in my oil pump thinking it was possibly worn out, I put a yellow spring back in it because that is what I pulled out. Any thoughts?

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
I wouldn't recommend driving one of these cars very far without an accurate oil pressure gauge, even if you just install it under the hood somewhere..

My next course of action would be to eliminate the possibility of rod knock. I would start unplugging injectors one at a time while it's running to listen for a change in the noise.

Also you might want to pop off the valve covers and check for a broken rocker arm or shaft. Someone should just make some clear valve covers!

·
Registered
633 Posts
Very good advice Mike. I would also check around for loose "stuff" that bolts on the motor. I had a aweful rattle upon start up, cold only, and would go away when warm. Turns out it was the driver side bracket for the IC did not have a bolt in it. Who took my bolt?? I bet it was that Mike Yrenaya guy...haha. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts