Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i started to change my springs today.the old springs were at 1.830 installed and about 60# on the seat.my new recomended springs are 120# at 1.700 and that is were i am setting them .just want to know if this sounds right to you guys cam is 496 lift and i am running 1.6 rockers.at least i broke the cam in with weak springs.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
If the cam manufacturer suggests that pressure, it sounds good to me. I am naturally nervous of high pressure springs and flat tappet cams...particularly on 3 exhaust due to the mislocation of the lobe and/or bore, but, breaking it in on weak springs should help.

Hope it runs well for you!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Those are pretty stout springs. I am suprised your old springs were installed at 1.830 What heads are you using?

I am also curious about your nickname "oddfire". Care to elaborate?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my heads are ported stock. they had double springs with 100ths extra high retainers i checked them with a on car tester and they bearley hold 60# my new ones hold 110# at least.as for my name i used to have a stage 2 on center engine i wanted to run in my gn but it was oddfire and i sold it. BIG mistake.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
The largest flat tappet cam I have run was 221 degs at about .470 lift. The CC980s were specced for it at much lower pressures.

As stated prior, these engines have a problem wiping lobes, most often number 3 exhaust and it is pretty obvious why when you look down the lifter bore at the lobe. It is often centered on the lobe which is bad news. Strong springs really accelerate the wear. That is why you see me ranting to people not to use 100# springs on cams that don't need them.

I am assuming you are using the springs suggested by the cam manufacturer set to the suggested specs in this case.

Scares the heck out of me, tho. :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i am running a 224 224 .496 .496 flat tappet hydrolic. it is made by modern muscle and sold by ramchargers. this is the spring they suggest . thanks for the info.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for all the help . this thing flys no poping at all.i was running a little lean but it pulled like crazy from a dead stop.and the .58 housing on my pt-72 works great.hope i can turn up FP and get my o2 readings out of the 500s and im ready for the track.thanks

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
glad it is better. remember that it can lean pop, but, not detonate, and it can detonate and never pop so watch out for that timing retard that would indicate detonation.

It's not uncommon on race fuel to have enough octane that the car is not detonating but may be so lean that it will pop...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts