Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Resident Embraer Driver
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Day 4 in the garage, I work slow

The old man is getting kinda pissed that I'm taking up bolth spots in the garage so I didnt have time to order any good parts.

New TTY head bolts from napa $10.
New Napa intake gasket $20
New FelPro Head gasket, from the local buick guru $40 (not happy about that, I wanted a GM one but he swears buy them.)
New vavle cover gaskets $12

I finally got it all back together and the plan was to fire it up with old oil for 5 minutes or so then change the oil.
get everything checked out and good to go and I fire it up and there is anti-freeze coming out the flange where the turbo bolts up. Not a fun thing to witness.
So thinking I put the gaskets on wrong I pull the crossover pipe off and the turbo off and just run it hard core open headers to see where the water is coming from and it ends up just being some residual coolent in the passenger side header from when I took the intake off and all the water went all over the place, (yes I drained the coolent, go figure
)

It was odd because the water was in the oppisite header of the side that I had removed the head? During this whole ordeal I was checking the oil making sure there wasnt coolent in the oil and it was still good to go. So tomarow I think a couple wide open throttle passes will clear any coolent that might be in the header.

So now its still in the garage going on day 5, I didnt have the motivation to put the turbo back on it so I'll do it in the morning and I think Napa might have a complete gasket set for the turbo. (I ordered it a while back an never picked it up)
On a positive note I didnt hear any vavle train noise and it seemed to run half way decent.

To be continued tomarow.......

Joe

------------------
1986 Buick Grand National
TA-49 Turbo, 009's, Hooker cat back, CAS V4, Art Carr 3000 stall, BGC 3'' Downpipe, ported elbow and all the other usual stuff.
[email protected]

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Did you only do one side with the head gasket(s)?

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
Which Felpro head gasket did you use?

I can't imagine TTY head bolts only costing $10. Something seems weird about that.

I have seen water drip out of the turbo connection plenty of times. I think it's condensation from sitting.

------------------

Stock Block, Stock Cam, PTE-52, Champion Heads, V4, MSD50's, TH DP, JayJackson 62mm TB, 16position MaxEffort Chip. 3680# with Driver
12.0 @ 116.5mph w/20psi using 17.9* timing

mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

·
Resident Embraer Driver
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The bolts I used:
Clevite 216-7058 3.8 litre 231CID VIN A&B 86-88 VIN 3 85-88, VIN 7 86-87.

Yes I only replaced the driver side head gasket as I only removed the drivers side head. I'm pretty sure it was the stock replacment gasket. It actually had a GM part number on it X'ed out (XXXXXXXXX). It looked exactly like my GM gasket.

The only problem with water coming out my turbo is it was green. When I ran it open headers it looked good. just had some residual water sitting in the header from when I took the intake off.
I made sure I got the right parts for this thing.

Joe

------------------
TA-49 Turbo, 009's, Hooker cat back, CAS V4, Art Carr 3000 stall, BGC 3'' Downpipe, ported elbow and all the other usual stuff.
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Grannynational (edited June 03, 2002).]

·
Registered
22,915 Posts
I had to go to the NAPA site and look. Sounded cheap for Headbolts to me too:

Clevite Engine Parts Cylinder Head Bolt Set

Item#: CEP2167058

Price: $ 11.49
tax and shipping not included

Usually ships in 24 hours.

Attributes:
Attributes: Cylinder Head Bolt Set

Warranty: Limited 1 Year, 3600 Hours, or 100,000 Miles Whichever Occurs First

Add to Cart

Return to Previous Page

New Search

There is no Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) available for this Product

Wow!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Resident Embraer Driver
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
got the car together, changed the oil. It smoked for a while but runs decent and no longer smokes, I just have a little stumble at 13#'s occationally. I think it might be bad gas. Sunoco has started putting ethonol in there 94 octane, I think I like Mobil's 93 better.
Seems to pull harder with the new springs, they will be track tested for improvment on friday.

Joe

------------------
[email protected]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts