Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have the part number for the comp cams replacement springs for an 86 GN. What else should I replace while doing the valve springs, and where would I find those parts. Thanks

Mike

·
Registered
221 Posts
Comp 980s with damper (inner spring) don't reuse the stock cups. I think it's 980-12. Replace the seals on the intake sides only as the exhaust side does not use them. You should be able to get them as a parts store that carries Compatition Cams parts. Do a search there is alot of discussion on springs but the general consences is the 980s, that's what I used.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Another option are the CC 979-12's...single spring and you reuse the stock cups...the pressures are basically identical to stock specs...can get them from Summit Racing...

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
Registered
22,915 Posts
To clarify myself, it was the mailing list archives. To answer Steve W
D's question:

I don't think so. I cut and pasted all that was listed for my own use... cause I was gettin' ready for some new ones for my Turbo Riv and wanted the part numbers handy. Ken Mosher posted the data.

I do know that the Comp Cams book lists the 979's with the cam kits they sell for the 231 Buick Engines. A lot of people on the List seem to like the 980's though...

[This message has been edited by Zap (edited May 04, 2002).]

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
979's are not ava. anymore. 980's are the replacement used for 979's.

·
aka: mOtOrHeAd MiKe
6,603 Posts
I got the Comp 980s.

The P/N for the FelPro Viton valve seals is SS72623.

I am doing my springs and seals shortly. And while the motor is out everthing else that is a PITA.

------------------
Michael Lis
87 Vortec SS
87 Turbo T
http://geocities.com/CanadianSkunkWorks/index.html

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I kinda got lucky with my springs.
I had placed an order for valve springs and got the wrong numbered springs for the cam I was using in a SBC. I decided to keep them for sometime down the road rebuild on an SBC.
They turned out to be 980-16.
So I'll have 4 left over.
May buy 2 more sets of 16 to fill out another set.
Not that I'll need them. but someone else might.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
74-82 lbs. at 1.727"

Use the 980's.

I've got 8 spares need 4 more for the next car. Ain't gonna be a next car I hope.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Oh boy, glad I didn't say that...

Even if it is true.

They prolly ship the 980's and tell you to take the spring out for 979's or something like that....

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Now there's definitive proof.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts