Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
2 GN's = No money!!
5,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to order a set of valve springs for GN #2 (Comp Cams 980's)and a friend strongly suggested that I not reuse the old locks and retainers. I checked gnttype.org for their directions written by Mike Smith and it doesn't mention new locks or retainers, I don't mind spending the money for new locks and retainers I just don't know where to get these parts or what part numbers I need.

Second question is I hear people have to "shim" the new springs due to getting rid of the "damper" (?). Where do I get these shims and do they come in an assortment of sizes?

Last question is what timing chain and gears does everyone suggest? Part numbers would be appreciated.

Thanks for any and all help,

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Use the damper.

It will keep things stabilized at higher rpm and extend spring life.

You can get the retainers from Comp

·
2 GN's = No money!!
5,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Steve,

Thanks for the info on getting the retainers from Comp, but are they a generic part or are they made for those springs?

What about the locks, reuse the originals or get new ones? If new ones, from GM or from ??? dunno

Last but not least has anyone tried Speed Pro springs? A friend cross referenced them from the 980-12 part number and they were about $35 cheaper. I am thinking that I will pay the extra money for the Comp 980's as they are a known part unless someone has some good things to say about the Speed Pro's.

Once again thanks for any help,

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
I think they are generic for that size of spring. I always replace the keepers...should be able to buy them all from Comp.

Zap has posted the Speed pro equivalents before. Nothing wrong with them.

·
Unnaturally Aspirated
2,327 Posts
Speed Pro is a performance division of Federal Mogul so they should be a decent product. I used the Comps on my car though so I can't say for sure.

<small>[ November 12, 2003, 11:54 PM: Message edited by: rastaz ]</small>

·
aka: mOtOrHeAd MiKe
6,603 Posts
Paul, if you can get P/N 980-8 I can send you 4 unused 980s for free. That may save you a few bucks. :D

(Stupid Speed Shop selling me a V8 set of springs.... wink )

I trust you have the tools for the job, if not I can send that with the springs. yup

I used the 980s, no cups, and no dampers IIRC. Might want to run the FelPro valve seals while you are in there. (Titon? Triton? Teflon? Telephone... I don't remember the name.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts