Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the torque specs on the valve cover bolts on a 85 t type..........? Also do I have to reinstall that long stud with the nut........I have a tab on the valve cover gasket showing where it goes but no hole for it.........? Felpro rubber gaskets.........Thanks....

·
Registered
22,915 Posts
http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/misc/torque.html

44 (in lbs) or 4 (ft lbs)

Long stud with nut? I'm not real clear what your talking about. The covers have four bolts each side, the passenger side cover has the stud that has a (or did have at one time) spark plug wire loom attachment (Passenger side front). The drivers side might have had one too, I'm not sure.

Drivers side rear stud has double duty as a valve cover holddown bolt and the wastegate sol valve/egr valve vac control mount on top of the stud and are held on with a couple of small nuts (on top of valve cover) .

[This message has been edited by Zap (edited July 20, 2001).]

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanxs zap your a bundle of help...........Seriously dont listen to what everyone says about you behind your back your a good help........Just Kidden Thanks........

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
OH, OH, OH, OH, it's the big one!!!!!!!!!

Zap knew an answer!

Hey, it is true what they say behind your back!

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
I just put a new one on the "new" GN tonight, I hope I got the 4 ft. lbs. right since I normally use about 10.

All the gaskets have that tab I guess since my cork ones had it. I guess its kinda like something left over from the prehistoric days like Steve Wood's tail.

·
Registered
22,915 Posts
I know all. Envy me, peons. And envy my p... never mind.

Salvage,

I started to buy an "inch lbs" torque wrench once. I started to do a lot of things once.

I usually torque them down with a 1/4" ratchet till they are fairly snug. They'll probably leak anyway, no matter what torque specs you use. I think more than 4 bolts were needed! But I didn't design it.

[This message has been edited by Zap (edited July 21, 2001).]

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Originally posted by salvageV6:
I guess its kinda like something left over from the prehistoric days like Steve Wood's tail.

Prehensile tails are very much in vogue these days...got one of them, don't need utensils...

·
Registered
88 Posts
I usually use the "grunt" method. Valve covers require 1/2 grunt. Intake bolts take 1 1/2 grunts. Turbo mounting bolts take 2 1/2 grunts. Lug nuts take 4 grunts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts