Turbo Buick Forums banner

us octane ratings compared to aussie

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  ULYCYC 
#1 ·
I was wondering what are the different octane ratings for you fuels over there??

there was a mention in a thread 85 is that the lowest

in aussie

std 91
premium 95 (will eventually become the base standard)
optimax 98 (high Density, High Octane (HDHO) fuel)
extreme 100 (formulated with 5% ethanol, lower sulphur and benzene
content)

#2 · (Edited)
I am sure there would be a differnce. This is a map of whats here in the us. I can assume you have something similar. Some areas here in the us do buy gas from other areas. I know here in OKC some of the sinclars get there 93 from either tulsa or tx. Both are under smog watches so, i try to point that out to the people who think they are doing good to there car from going from 91 to 93 here. This should get you an idea to how many blends there are here.

http://www.okgpc.com/forum/topic.asp?topic_id=2878

#3 ·
Ok bit confussed with that

never seen this before in my life

That "Reid Vapor Pressure (RVP) - ASTM D323" isn't that applied to gas converted cars (LPG) that have reed valves (think that's what it is called) in their tanks.

duel fuel cars in winter have to start on petrol then when warm turn to gas (LPG), because the gas is in compressed liquid form goes into the engine so cold that it doesn't ignite.

over here we got no restrictions at all of what that mentions what so ever on our fuel, the only thing that is added to the fuel is supposed "cleaning additives for the metals in the motor" :confused: :dunno: :dunno:

but ok thanks for the info

#4 · (Edited)
I kinda miss understood your question at first. What i was getting at. Is most people don't know there is so many different requirements on gas. Now each company has there own blends on top of the required additives. The %r and %m change from location to location too but they have to be average and be at least the stated octane the gas is sold as.

Areas in smog areas have mixes that are suposta help the smog. Not really help performance though.

But here is your question answered. In Oklahoma you can buy 87-93 Nationwide the range at your standard pump would be from 85-94.Some specialty places have 101 at the pump. Anything higher is usually need to be bought in a 55 drum.

#5 ·
Standard octane's vary from 85 to 94. Some stations have unleaded and leaded racegas from 100 to 112oct but they are scarce As said above blending from state to state can make quality hard to find. Also 91 is premium in Colorado or Kansas and 94 is premium in New Jersey. All octane's are not available in all states

#8 ·
ULYCYC said:
Standard octane's vary from 85 to 94. Some stations have unleaded and leaded racegas from 100 to 112oct but they are scarce As said above blending from state to state can make quality hard to find. Also 91 is premium in Colorado or Kansas and 94 is premium in New Jersey. All octane's are not available in all states
sunoco is phasing out ultra 94- we have one of the last ultra stations in southern NJ around here. most of them have gone to 93 for their top octane

#9 ·
ajt86 said:
sunoco is phasing out ultra 94- we have one of the last ultra stations in southern NJ around here. most of them have gone to 93 for their top octane
We lost ours last year. I think NJ is the last state to phase it out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.