Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the last 2 months or so I saw a BFG ad for an upcoming announcement in June or July about a new BFG DR. Did anyone else see that and does anyone have a hint of what it might be?

I am amazed at the grip I am getting from my now totally bald set of 275/50-15s and hope there might be some improvement in wear. I know everyone loves Nittos but they are shorter and I am already struggling having to shift to 4th. I also cannot imagine that the Nittos can grip as well.

------------------

Scottie's GNZ

[This message has been edited by Scottie-GNZ (edited April 26, 2001).]

·
Registered
26 Posts
Maybe that has something to do with the 275/60/15 BFG drags being backordered with no ship date
!

------------------
Justin 87 GN
TE-45, 50# injectors, Art Carr 9", Walboro 307, THDP, hooker duals w/test pipe, Joe Lubrant chips, 9" K&N, adj fpr, adj wastegate, free mods, soft shoes, s-10 cyls, line lock, 979 valve springs, air bags, pinion snubber, B&M tranny cooler, Scanmaster 2
11.8 @ 115 with plenty more to come

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
Hey Scottie... I heard cords have really good traction !!

------------------

Stock Turbo, Stock Heads, Stock CAM, V4, MSD50's, TH DP, JayJackson 62mm TB, 16position MaxEffort Chip. 3750# with Driver
12.35 & 108.39 Street Trim
11.92 @ 111.77 Race Ready
mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hey Scottie-
So that is the secret with these tires
What pressure do you run at the track with those tires? Can't seem to get any decent short times with them and they hardly have any miles to just ditch them

Thanks!
Jeff
89 TTA
87 GN

------------------
Jeff Scher
89 TTA Best of Both Worlds :)
87 GN Http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Speedway/1780/

·
Premium Member
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I run 17-18# at the track with a 3-sec burnout and spinning them up to the line. I then launch with 5-6# on the t-brake. Consistent low-1.60s with a best of 1.55. My car is obviously lighter and has better weight distribution but I still have the stock IRS with that awful (looking) rear-end squat. Depending on who you ask, that is good or bad.

What size do you have? Drop me a note if you are thinking of getting rid of them.

------------------

Scottie's GNZ

·
Registered
955 Posts
1.55 is an awesome 60ft time. My best with worn 245/50/16 Nitto DR's is 1.71 on a 5lb launch. I haven't tried any higher as I'm afraid of scattering parts.

------------------
2725lb '87 RX-7 w/ '87 GN driveline. [email protected] on NittoDR +stk GN turbo
http://members.tripod.com/~grannys/markcorbett.html

·
Premium Member
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mark,

you would melt your tires before you scattered parts. I tried 8# and spun them pretty good but still got 1.80s. So much depends on how well they prep the track and track temp. One night I had 4 runs and got 1.61, 1.63, and 1.68 twice. Ironically the quickest ET, 11.22 was on the 2nd 1.68.

BTW, Orlando_87GN and I did some tests on my car this afternoon and we think we found the source of my problem. At the top of every gear I would get really bad knock and the chip would pull timing for most of the run. We measured extremely high temps at the TB inlet at 20# boost. Moved the boost gauge to the compressor outlet and it spiked to 27#, then to 30#
. That explains why my compressor would almost never cool down between runs.

Need to pull the I/C and check for a LEAK or somehow it got clogged pretty bad or split hoses, etc. Pretty excited that soon I will get the see the true potential of this hybrid.

Yeah, my sig is out of date.

------------------

Scottie's GNZ

[This message has been edited by Scottie-GNZ (edited May 11, 2001).]

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Scottie,

I saw a reference somewhere about the new "G-Force BFG Drag Radials" Maybe that'll help the search.

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just saw another ad for the new g-Force Drag Radial in one of the ricer rags. Man, is that thing aggressive looking. It appears to have more tread and a very aggressive and unique looking pattern. From the looks of it, the pattern appears to be uni-directional and although not deep, should channel water fairly good. Funny thing is that the BFG website has no mention of it.

I am going up to Gainesville Sunday for the big import meet and hope BFG or some major dealer is there showing it off or better yet, a BFG-sponsored car is there running it. This is the 1st real solid sanction for import drag racing and hope some of the quick cars show up, like the 7-sec Focus and the 7-sec Mitsu from P.R., running the 2.6L 4-banger. That's right, the one from the Starion/Conquest. Most import drag fans know who Adam Sawarutara (sp?) is and is rumored to have his 2000hp NSX ready

Anyone going up?

------------------

Scottie's GNZ

[This message has been edited by Scottie-GNZ (edited May 19, 2001).]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts