Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok .I keep getting 2.2 or 2.3 60footers with niito dr's and 14pounds air pressure and only3pounds boost at launch so can i use 1 or do i need 2 air bags with non-posi?
Also i have the big monroe blue shocks on the car and i'm thinking that is hurting me too;would KYB shocks on all four probably help my 60footer?

Just one more question?I have 15x7inch wheels w/4inch backspacing on nitto's but i just bought 2 more matching wheels but these are 15x8inch w/4inch backspacing now i don't have but around one inch clearance with the 7inchers and i think the 8inchers will be a problem?Should i put slicks on the 7inchers or on the 8inchers for the track and the nitto dr for street?Thanks powersix

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
15 x8s with 4" b.s. fit my car well.

You can try one bag with about 25# if you want to look funny with one side all ****ed up.

the Monroes might work better than the KYBs as they are a piece and probably will transfer weight better.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All jack** ;na i'll get two then.Where is the most economical place to buy them?I checked POSTON'S today and they don't sell them.
Steve,are you being really truthful by saying that the monroe shocks are probably better than the KYB'S at the track?I just want to make sure that you really meant that.
I really only have about 1inch or my finger width right now with my 7inch wheels and so,that has me really worried that if i put slicks on the 15x8inch gnx style wheels that they may indeed rub;guess it will be a try it out equation.If they do run ok then would it be beter for me to run the slicks on the 7inchers or 8inchers and just run the dr's on the 7inchers?THANKS :)

<small>[ August 20, 2003, 10:15 PM: Message edited by: white shadow ]</small>

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I remember reading a post that a guy was getting good 60s with a peg leg using 1 bag. He used some very high psi. He said it looked funny but he had better 60s that I get.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
You have to jack one side up if you don't have posi! Jack both sides and you are right back where you started!

Yes, I was being truthful, why would I be otherwise?

My wheels fit perfectly in the center, and aluminum drums, which you should have on a pegleg unless they have been changed, actually push them out a hair.

Now if the backspace is 4", why should they be any closer to the frame? They will be a bit closer to the fender lip because the extra inch is on that side.

You use a different ruler up there? :)

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Jegs or Summit.

You need to find a vendor that can help you with tech advice for buick parts.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ES:
I remember reading a post that a guy was getting good 60s with a peg leg using 1 bag. He used some very high psi. He said it looked funny but he had better 60s that I get.
great stuff to know. headbang

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Steve Wood:
You have to jack one side up if you don't have posi! Jack both sides and you are right back where you started!

Yes, I was being truthful, why would I be otherwise?

My wheels fit perfectly in the center, and aluminum drums, which you should have on a pegleg unless they have been changed, actually push them out a hair.

Now if the backspace is 4", why should they be any closer to the frame? They will be a bit closer to the fender lip because the extra inch is on that side.

You use a different ruler up there? :)
I'm not implying that you are not being truthful ;i just did not completely understand the comment.My bad,sorry.
:confused:
Does the peglegs come from the factory with aluminum drums or do i buy a pair to gain more space?
YEA we use a rule of thumb up here :) :D :)

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ES:
What kind of 60footers do you get?

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
They came with aluminum drums which are a 1/10-1/8" thicker than steel drums. That pushes the wheel out a bit just like a spacer.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you mucho;STEVE! :)
I just need one more confirmation please.Did the posi cars all come with steele or aluminum drums?

<small>[ August 20, 2003, 11:01 PM: Message edited by: white shadow ]</small>

·
Registered
882 Posts
One original GM document of interest states the aluminum drums were part of the GNX package...which also included positraction.

Whether or not that combo made it into production on all GNXs...who knows?

Interesting read! yup

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
This is the third time I have stated that peg legs came with aluminum drums from the factory!!!!! :D

Just exactly what are you doing with that thumb!? :p

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Post from other board
I have gone a best 60 foot of 1.92 or so with my peg leg and 275/50/15 BFG drag radials. I think I had about 17-18 pounds of air in them. I also had about 30 pounds in the right rear air bag. I trapped right around 110 and ran a best ET of 12.67 on this run. I know that many guys have run better then this 60 foot time with a peg leg.
I think I would box the LC arms and try the 1 air bag trick.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
white shadow:
Thank you mucho;STEVE! :)
I just need one more confirmation please.Did the posi cars all come with steele or aluminum drums?
I'll be more straight forward by asking,if all the posi-traction turbo buicks (excluding gnx)come equipped with steele drums or indeed could the posi cars also come from factory with aluminum drums?I just want to know this just as intriging info.I find that it seems crazy that a non-posi would have a somewhat lighter aluminum drum but a posi unit would have a steele drum even though the posi would seem to cost more in dollars.You don't need to reply to this STEVE, i really just find it strange that GM would do that to people.It makes no never mind i guess
dunno :)

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ES:
Post from other board
I have gone a best 60 foot of 1.92 or so with my peg leg and 275/50/15 BFG drag radials. I think I had about 17-18 pounds of air in them. I also had about 30 pounds in the right rear air bag. I trapped right around 110 and ran a best ET of 12.67 on this run. I know that many guys have run better then this 60 foot time with a peg leg.
I think I would box the LC arms and try the 1 air bag trick.
I appreciate you pulling up this info for me;it's good motivational info for a peglegger like myself
:p

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Never saw a posi car with aluminum drums from the factory. That is the reason I pointed out peg legs did. Far as I know, GNXs came with steel drums.

Go to the junk yard and if you want aluminum drums, go look for G-bodies with no posi and you will find aluminum drums.

I suspect some engineer thought posi cars might need a stronger drum.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Does your car have aluminum drums?

If not, did you check your trunk sticker for the lack of a posi code?

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
No, you received it four times and got it once!
Now, answer the question! Do you have aluminum drums?

Have you put in the new injectors and chip? Why not? :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts