Turbo Buicks banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to the track tonight and was going for a full gonzo launch/run (first run of the day).
End result = ZERO. Left (stock) axle snapped on the launch. Axle pulled WAY out but the car never touched the ground...

The car is a mid 11ish +/-, maybe a little faster...

My replacement dilemma is:
What Kind of axle? c-clip or no c-clip? Car is driven maybe 1000 miles a year.
I've used Moser in the past, I'm just trying to settle the c-clip eliminator dilemma more than anything. Money IS an object but reliability is of higher concern. I NEVER plan on this car running 10s.
Any & all opinions welcome.

Thanks
Scott

<small>[ October 26, 2003, 09:24 PM: Message edited by: zam70 ]</small>

·
Registered
125 Posts
I had to go through this at the end of last year. My recommendation is just go with some Moser 28 spline stock replacement axles. This is the cheapest route but is still very safe. If, down the road you decide you do want to go 10's then you'll probably want to upgrade the whole rearend with Eaton posi, 30 spline or more axles, c-clip emlim's or ford bolt in style etc. Worry about 10's when you run 10's, and for now get the parts that will keep you running safely.

<small>[ October 26, 2003, 09:41 PM: Message edited by: c&cgn ]</small>

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
zam70:
Went to the track tonight and was going for a full gonzo launch/run (first run of the day).
End result = ZERO. Left (stock) axle snapped on the launch. Axle pulled WAY out but the car never touched the ground...

Thanks
Scott
That happened to me last year this time! I had the same questions you had. I drive mine on the street lots so I decided to get the moser 30 spline, eaton posi, and put a T/A girdle on for added strength. There is always the issue of leakage with the C-clip eliminators so I decided not to go that route. In the end I guess the decision is yours.

·
www.magnabuick.com
6,876 Posts
What type of launches were you guys doing to break the axles?

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
That funny ,Last year same time for me too! Went to the strange 30 spline and Eaton and Richmond gears and the c clip.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts