Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody done the Type II ignition swap?
If so what car did you pull it from and was it a direct bolt in swap?
Are you happy with the results?
(I'm a little confused by all the info on which cars have the right module and which cars have the right coil, and if the plug fits... 3800,3300,... etc. Did a search on the big board and found a lot of conflicting views on the topic)
I have been having some electrical gremlins and suspect my coil pack & module may be going south (Pulled a code 42 today
)
I also suspect my ECM as well (Been having a TCC lockup spike problem)
I figured doing the swap is pretty cheap, and if it's not the problem I have a spare ignition

Thanks
Paul

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Originally posted by Quick Toy:
Has anybody done the Type II ignition swap?
If so what car did you pull it from and was it a direct bolt in swap?
Are you happy with the results?
(I'm a little confused by all the info on which cars have the right module and which cars have the right coil, and if the plug fits... 3800,3300,... etc. Did a search on the big board and found a lot of conflicting views on the topic)
I have been having some electrical gremlins and suspect my coil pack & module may be going south (Pulled a code 42 today
)
I also suspect my ECM as well (Been having a TCC lockup spike problem)
I figured doing the swap is pretty cheap, and if it's not the problem I have a spare ignition

Thanks
Paul
Paul, I've run the Type II for quite a while; I like mine. I won't offer any definite spreadsheet of 59 zillion cars that match
but if you pick one up that is on a 3300 or a 3800 and it physically plugs in to your connector, it should be fine. I have gotten them from various 88-up FWD 3800s and all ran fine on my car. The last one cost me $16 for coils/module.

HTH,

------------------

Orange Park, FL
various cars, some running

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Kendall

Going off to hunt the bone yards soon.

BTW
Do you know of any other cars that use our original coil and module (Type I Magnavox)
I figure while I'm there I will look for both, and if the price is right pick up a spare

Paul

------------------
1972 Toyota Celica with a 87 TR drive train.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kendall
I found a 1990 Park Ave with a 3.8L motor.
The coils and module are a direct fit. I needed to drill three holes in my mounting plate to make it bolt in.(couldn't be bothered with the adapter plate) Easy swap

I also took the ECM from the car as well.
Results
Smoother idle, looks cool Got on it a bit tonight and all seems well, no bucking. I want to test it in the heat of the day and see for sure, but I'm pretty sure it fixed the problem.
Paul

------------------
1972 Toyota Celica with a 87 TR drive train.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts