Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, they really aren't new, I just homed in on my problems.

1) My areo chambers on my Hooker catback exaust are way too close to my driveshaft. I had the car on jackstands today and the driveshaft actually touched the muffler on the passenger side. Okay, the rear end was at its lowest point and it never touched on the road, but it is just too close.

2) I always had a loud clank when I put it into drive. I had my uncle under the car trying to sniff out the noise. He narrowed it down to the rearend. Now I can leave very nice long even black patches with my car so I never thought anything could be wrong with my rearend. If I grab the driveshaft and try to twist it, it seems to have too much play in it. My U joints are new. I also hear the clank(not as loud though) when I get into the car sometimes and I have heard it during turns. Everything seems tight in the rear, but I noticed that little piece inside the passenger side lower control arm is missing. I will put in my new control arms on thursday so if that's it, it will be fixed soon.

Sigh, this car is bugging me. With my downpipe hitting my header(hopefully the poly mount will fix that), my clank, my mufflers, and God knows what else, it's getting to me. I imagine a day that everything works right. At least I learned one good thing today...I have an aftermarket swaybar(looks like ATR's).

Thanks a lot for any help you can offer.

------------------
1987 GN 14" K&N, adj. wastegate, adj. FPR, XP Armstrong hotwired, 160*-stat, Hooker 2.5" catback exaust, Thrasher chips, shift kit, trans cooler, vdo boost/oil/temp guages, scanmaster II, Kirban's front/rear frame braces, GNX wanna-be rims, and the rest is stock..except for all the stuff that doesn't last 15yrs.

1987 Cavalier Z24 daily driver. 3-chamber flowmaster and 135db worth of stereo.

Shaun

[This message has been edited by shaunchrisc (edited May 07, 2002).]

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
The clank is probably wear in the ring/pinion. Other than replacing them, or having the pinion depth reset which might not be advisable due to the wear pattern, there ain't much you can do. Lot's of them do it.

Fix the control arm, should help the launches and handling. Move the Muffler and be sure you have the support bracket from the tranny rear mount to the rear of the cat or test pipe installed..this should keep the downpipe from hitting the header.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
349 Posts
Mine does the same thing...clanks when put in drive. I replaced the u-joints, thinking they were to blame. No change.

Steve, with the cover off, what exactly do I need to look at, & look for, to check this? I'd like to know how to check this. I have an idea, but I'm not sure. Can you elaborate sir?

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
Originally posted by shaunchrisc:

2) I always had a loud clank when I put it into drive. I had my uncle under the car trying to sniff out the noise. He narrowed it down to the rearend. Now I can leave very nice long even black patches with my car so I never thought anything could be wrong with my rearend. If I grab the driveshaft and try to twist it, it seems to have too much play in it. My U joints are new. I also hear the clank(not as loud though) when I get into the car sometimes and I have heard it during turns.

Like Steve said, it is a common sound. I had three turbo regals and they all did it. Usually only when the car was revving a little high and you put it into gear. Everyone, in our club, with the exception of one GNX makes that noise. GNX 538, was just sold via the club and it had 7000 miles on it, and it made that sound.

As for turning corners and making that sound, sounds like something is a little looser than normal.

Let us know what it turns out to be.

·
I'm the Best!
14,818 Posts
all g-bodys make that noise.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
It is just the slack between the pinion gear and the ring gear. Mine has made the noise for years.

When you are moving forward and stop, the lash is taken up in one direction. If you drop it in reverse, then the slack is there and it pops around and makes a noise as the pinion bangs the ring gear in the opposite direction. I would not worry about that...

You will find plenty of more things to worry about each week....LOL

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, it's nice to know that I'm not the only one with the clank.

Steve, I do have that hanger on the back of the CAT. The downpipe is very close to the header and only touches around 2300RPMs. It's wierd, I can grab the downpipe and move it quiet a bit. I'm about to yank it off and put a dent into it...or worse yet, buy a THDP.

I will take the clamps off both ends of the muffler and try to twist it out of the way.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Everybody I know who has a Turbo Regal has the clanking noise! Mine seems to be reduced if I shift it directly into drive. I mostly drive it in overdrive. But if there are some honeys about, you don't want your car making a clanking noise now do ya! Just be glad you didn't buy a mustang! I always look at it like that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts