Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My trans was just rebuilt and a restalled (2,600-2,800)D-5 installed. Prior to the rebuild the TV cable was pulled back so that six notches were exposed. I want to firm up the shift so I pulled the TV cable back towards the firewall and it only had one more click before it would not go back any further. This did not firm up the shift but it did seem to make the car stay in each gear longer. My question is: Should I have to pull the cable back that far to get a firmer shift or is there something that was done during the rebuild that affected the TV cable working? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
I had to adjust mine after a rebuild.

I used the service manual procedure and haven't touched it since. Mine held the gears way too long with my original setting.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Steve and salvageV6. I will try to adjust to factory spec and if that does not work, I will contact the trans builder.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Steve..salvage---I went to adjust the cable to specs and I noticed that there is not any tension on the cable. There used to be tension. What causes this? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Jim,

There's a spring attached to the linkage down in the trans..that provides the tension you feel on the cable. Might be a good time to take the retaining bolt out at the trans end of the cable and lift the cable up..there is a right end on the cable that should be through an eyelet. You should be able to pull up on the cable end and feel spring tension. Perhaps the cable is broken/not attached?

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kendall--Do I have the right cable? Is it the one on the passenger side front of the trans, with a black base about 2.5" high by 1/2" diameter and held down with a 10 mm bolt? I removed the bolt and tried pulling on the black base but it does not come out easily and I don't want to force it if I have the wrong cable. Also, I don't see an eyelet so I don't understand your comment "there is a right end on the cable that should be through an eyelet". Is the eyelet under the black base? Thanks a lot.

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
Bring it back to the rebuilder. It should have been set by them. If you mess with it you will assume all blame...

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You have a good point, Ed. I will go back to the builder and have him look at it. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
GNCOL:
Kendall--Do I have the right cable? Is it the one on the passenger side front of the trans, with a black base about 2.5" high by 1/2" diameter and held down with a 10 mm bolt? I removed the bolt and tried pulling on the black base but it does not come out easily and I don't want to force it if I have the wrong cable. Also, I don't see an eyelet so I don't understand your comment "there is a right end on the cable that should be through an eyelet". Is the eyelet under the black base? Thanks a lot.
I suppose Ed's got a good point..I'm not used to anybody else doing work on my cars so I never have anybody else to blame. :D

Yes, that's the right cable. It has a seal that retains it in the bore in the case..you have to pull up on it to pop it out. Once it's up an inch or so, you'll see the cable and the right angle end I mentioned.

If you don't want to mess with that end, just pop the end of the cable off where it attaches to the throttle linkage and pull on it there. It should be very obvious whether it has any spring tension or if it's just "flapping in the breeze", so to speak. OK..I haven't messed with the new graemlins so I have to add a few pointless ones:

uzi ugh moon loser

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I disconnected at the TB and pulled on the cable. It pulled forward about 1/2" and then sprang back so I assume that means it is OK. Am I correct in this assumption? Could the cable have stretched and that is why I have to pull it all the way towards the firewall?

·
Registered
154 Posts
When you press the release on the cable the cable should pull itself in(no notches showing). If this occurs remove floor mat and press gas pedal firmly all the way to the floor(With car turned off). You should hear the cable "click" as the notches set to the correct length(factory adjustment). If it does not pull out at least a few notches then the cable is probably stretched. If not bring back to trans shop for them to correct.

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
The setting of that cable is very sensitive. Usually when you break the (2) 8mm bolts loose ontop of the throttle body (to r&r the trans), they get tightened back down in a different location (ever so slightly).

Reset the cable first of all. Set the cable all the forward, then mash the gas pedal all the way without the floormat in the way. It will click into 'factory' specs.

If you had a 'local' shop rebuild your trans (not someone that specializes in the GN's), I fear for the worst. You might want to verify you still own a BRF valve body and all the GN specific servos, governor ect... :( powersix

<small>[ March 18, 2003, 07:00 PM: Message edited by: Orlando_87GN ]</small>

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Service manual procedure says to move it by hand at the throttle body. Worked for me. :)

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I adjusted the cable to factory specs and the car drives real well. Thanks for all the input/suggestions.

The trans was rebuilt by a local guy that was recommended by local TR owners. I purchased the hardened parts/13 vane pump/etc. from a very knowledgeable trans guy in IL. The converter also came from a reputable builder in IL.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts