Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here have experience running one with
a 3-bolt housing, on a production 3.8 block?
I recently read that a well-known tuner gave
up on this particular turbo and picked up 45
ft. lb. of torque after going to a different
turbo (non ball bearing PT70). The T72 was
supposedly a slow-spooling pig on the street
even though a 3,500 stall converter was used.

Looking for real world experience/comments
from anyone who has actually run one with
success. TIA.

'86 GN
[email protected]

mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Please post any information you gather on this particular turbo as it was the one recommended to me. I cancelled the one on order from PTE (6 months later still no turbo) and decided to postpone the project anyway. There is no reason to spend 2k for a BB turbo if there are any downsides.....

------------------
MJ

G

·
Originally posted by HYPER-6:
Anyone here have experience running one with
a 3-bolt housing, on a production 3.8 block?
I recently read that a well-known tuner gave
up on this particular turbo and picked up 45
ft. lb. of torque after going to a different
turbo (non ball bearing PT70). The T72 was
supposedly a slow-spooling pig on the street
even though a 3,500 stall converter was used.

Looking for real world experience/comments
from anyone who has actually run one with
success. TIA.

'86 GN
[email protected]

mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

IMHO, with a T72 turbo, you are entering the race car application catagory.
However, we're sure that some are running this turbo with reasonably good street manors.
With the stress limitations we chose to limit to a production block to , we feel a TE45 or PT&E equivilant 64 sized turbo will be sufficient enough to support just about any mods you can safely add to a production blocked motor's power manufacturing and performance capabilities.
This is only our in-shop conservative policy regarding any production motor build-up we do and not to imply that a larger turbo should not be considdererd to suit your purposes and goals.

Ron

------------------
Ron's Custom Automotive
Certified NJ Emission Repair Facility
1-800-718-7667
GSCA # 2306 / PR Director
BCA # 26330
www.ronscustomauto.com
[email protected]

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, keep the comments coming. CDNGN who gave
you the recommendation for the T72 BB turbo?
What is your buildup/goals?

To clarify further, the block I'm using is a
109 with RJC girdle. Looking for comments
pro/con regarding streetability rather than
durability since boost (HP level) is set by
the end user. Seems that the 63/66 turbos
w/ P-trim are pretty popular (using a T63E
now w/ good results) but I'm wondering if a
T72 would exhibit good spool-up or flat out
be a pig on the street. As mentioned, that
is what I read (pig on the street) recently but cannot judge it based on a sole opinion. For the sake of brevity, let's assume that the correct converter is installed, there is sufficient fuel, FM IC, Ported heads, etc... Let's hear some more about this BB turbo.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
I am still waiting for someone to empirically demonstrate the value of a BB turbo. Lot's of money that could be spent elsewhere as far as I can fanthom. One day some bold individual will actually run a true comparison but I suspect few wish to spend the money and find out there is no significant difference.

I am the cynical type...no doubt, but I was weaned on KB catalogues 15 years ago and now I want to see proof before I buy.

------------------
------------------
Steve Wood

86 GN bought new, TE45/ported heads/CAS front mount/MSD50's/TH dp/210 PTE Roller Cam/9-1 c.r./65mmTB-Hemco plenum/2 3/4" exhaust/Eibach springs/GNX style wheels/MAXEFFORT 16 pos chip with gas out feature/venturiless maf

87 T-type-Stock short block/ported heads/red stripes/TE44/2.5" Hooker exhaust/MAXEFFORT 16 position chip with gas out

81 El Camino with GN drive train-basically stock 86

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Originally posted by HYPER-6:
OK, keep the comments coming. CDNGN who gave you the recommendation for the T72 BB turbo? What is your buildup/goals?

Local mechanic who spoke with Harry at PTE.
It's for a Stage block. As I said, the project is "on hold" pending some decisions, including whether this will be primarily a race or street car. I am leaning towards keeping it more "streetable". No vendor has published any one-to-one comparison testing results of a BB versus regular turbo of the same type so I am leaning towards saving some $ and forgetting about the BB turbo. I am not concerned with picosecond spoolup.

I read on TB quite some time ago there are no readily available rebuild kits for the BB turbos, therefore, they would have to be returned to the manufacturer for repair. This may or may not be true.... Additionally, I was told the rebuild cost, should it become necessary, is quite expensive, likely in the $700-800 range. In fact, the more I type the more I convince myself to stick with a regular turbo !!!

------------------
MJ

·
Registered
50 Posts
Had to reply on this one. I know this is off alitle,but I was in a Syclone,Motor was totally built up. Was using a DFI.
But also a 72 BB Turbo. Truck is street driven. Have to tell you had never been anything like it. Pulled so hard it was scarey. I'm not easily frightened.
The list of work on this truck would go for ever. It was a 4 bolt unit,but still a 72!
Street manners where excellent. Wish I had the money for it.What a ride! Just my .02 cents

------------------
87 GN Stocker 4,200 org.mi
87 W/b Interior Limited 153,000 org mi.
My Last Waltz,Going for 11's with this one.
Westchester,NY. Land of potholes

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Hyper6, I got an upgrade from harry 2 sizes & the Qtrim option. It was the best money i ever spent.. Igot the 85 housing also.It is faster spooling,smoother at all rpm ranges & hits like a bear.I'll have # real soon.But it sure made a difference. My last run at Etown was 1/8 mile(no bar) was [email protected] 1.61 60ft. I'll let you know......................... JIM

1 - 8 of 8 Posts