Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Moderator/Procrastinator
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else have issues using Turbolink with a power inverter plugged into the lighter socket? Just curious ans it throws a bunch of wierd-ass non-fatal codes involving the ECM D/A converter and other such things. I also had the laptop open while trying to fix the battery and connections and probably broke it (cheap 50$ laptop off of e-bay), but I was just wonding if it was possible.

·
I'm the Best!
14,818 Posts
mine does the same thing. i get codes from falty waterinjection to ecm not responding. they come and go.

·
Moderator/Procrastinator
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sometimes it is too slow to respond (which makes me wonder if the link is even getting a signal out of the PC) and gives an error. It runs fine when plugged into a wall outlet, though. Well, it did anyways. I'll try playing with everything tonite and see what happens. This thread is staring to look like a joke, I know, but yes, I am serious!

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Originally posted by Zap:
Yeah, i think it has to do with bad connections at the ALDL. I used to get about 20 codes sometimes, had to jiggle it around a bit.
Wonder what would happen if the engine would actually run?

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Originally posted by mike85gn:
Sometimes it is too slow to respond (which makes me wonder if the link is even getting a signal out of the PC) and gives an error. It runs fine when plugged into a wall outlet, though. Well, it did anyways. I'll try playing with everything tonite and see what happens. This thread is staring to look like a joke, I know, but yes, I am serious!
I have always had better luck running off battery power. It always killed the laptop and made it reboot when I tried to use an inverter on it if I cranked the engine while the laptop was on.

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
That is some damn good advice, Steve! I just got a new rebuilt battery, little more capacity for my lap top. I can't believe how long it lasts. Amazing!

Mike I paid $100.00 to get the battery for my Lap top. That's $60.00 u.s.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
That is not Winston Churchhill in your tub. It is not Sarah, either!

The only thing you will ever smash is Pumpkins.

·
Moderator/Procrastinator
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Smashing Pumpkins were good back in the day. So was my laptop battery. And it's not the battery, it holds a charge fine. Everything is ok, technically, the battery does deliver 12.4v to the mainboard in my laptop (I was playing around in there. I probably damaged the parallel port while claw-hammering the LCD off). It just doesn't power up for more than 2 seconds. So I have to run it off of a power inverter. Or I have to try to, anyways.

·
I'm the Best!
14,818 Posts
Originally posted by Zap:

Lee Thompson's record would be smashed! Smashed!

yes but his car is posi

·
I'm the Best!
14,818 Posts
actualy, i could prolly get a rear POSI for 700$

G

·
Originally posted by mike85gn:
Ken Mosher posted on the tb.com board in the scantool section about similar problems and they are related to the power invertor not buffering the power from the laptop well enough. Anyways, check out the thread on tb.com, I don't have the link handy at this time otherwise I'd post it for you.

------------------
Clayton
87 GN: 307FP hotwired, adj FPR, Tomka Cold air kit,TA49, MSD 50's, CAS V4, 3"DP, Jim Testa street and Lubrant 110 chips Turbolink with boost sensing,
Best ET: 11.79 @ 116 mph, 1.61 60'

·
Too many black cars!
430 Posts
Here's the jist of it:

Just an important safety tip from your ol' uncle Ken ...

Cheap inverters can be the cause of all sorts of chaos with TurboLink (and probably DS too). I've just lately seen a rash of wierd "problems" that go away as soon as the laptop is plugged into a wall socket (instead of the inverter) or run on batteries.

Depending on how well the laptop is buffered from the power source, some work better than others... i.e. one brand of laptop works fine but another freaks out with the same TurboLink cable. It appears the power inverters that do a poor job of filtering and regulating the AC wave form cause the most problems (it seems to "hum" through the parallel port and cause data "flakiness").

If you are having problems with your scan tool (TurboLink, DS, etc.), do a test by plugging into a wall socket or running on batteries before you do anything else. Oftentimes that will be the culprit.

Another quick tip ... voltage boosters can make the inverters freak out too. If you see the scan tool go nuts only at WOT and you have a voltage booster, it may be that the inverter is seeing too much voltage.

Hope that helps!

[email protected]

·
Moderator/Procrastinator
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Ken! Yeah it looks like my issues are with the power inverter. It works just fine when plugged into an electrical outlet. Can I use a filter or conditioner between the inverter and the laptop? Would this help?

·
I'm the Best!
14,818 Posts
ken so when i put my hotwire kit in it could cause the t-link to go nuts? another thing.. does t-link faster in the non graphic screen/

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
Look at the power requirement of the laptop. If it requires 12volts DC @ 800ma a 1200ma inverter will overpowered and a 400ma inverter will underpowered. Both will cause problems. It has to be an exact match of MA (milliamps) stamped on the inverter

------------------
ED BAKER
87-T-TYPE, PT54,MSD50's,Crane Billet Roller,JE forged20over,P&P Heads,Manley valves,Hemco 65mm& Acu65TB,V2 FM, P.I.9.5 -7disc,Jimmys Trans, [email protected] boost.10's soon
93 PARK AVE"SUPERCHARGED"
67RS/SS350 CAMARO
mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

·
Too many black cars!
430 Posts
The data rate isn't affected by display options...it's totally controlled by the ECM.

The hot wire kit shouldn't affect anything (unless it breaks a ground or causes a ground loop... if the wiring is good in the car, it shouldn't affect anything).

As far as filtering, I suppose a big a$$ capacitor might "smooth" out the wave form?

------------------
==========================
Ken Mosher http://www.turbo-link Co-moderator:GN/TType Enthusiast Organization

[This message has been edited by kenmosher (edited May 29, 2002).]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts