Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Estimator
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well it's on the bucket list and the car is running good, thinking of putting in for vacation, 3 days and checking it out. The boys will be in school, so looks like a solo run if I go...
Looks to be 6 hrs from York PA, that's a nice cruise for the old Buick...anyone thinking about it? Would be nice to hang out with other MAGNA members...host hotel below, rooms still available.

Best Western
770 Huffman Mill Road
Burlington, NC 27215
336-584-0151
You MUST CALL this hotel
to get event pricing.
Use code "turbobuick.com"

Chuck

·
'86 GN
1,435 Posts
Always considered going to this event Chuck. If I can convince the boss to give me time off I might go. This year $$$$$ also plays a huge part.

·
Estimator
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Gary, that would be great!

They have there own site

home

I just booked a room... it's only 1 month out... I can switch to two queen beds if someone want to split a room. I booked a king. $80/night.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
Maan if I didn't already have other plans in May I'd so be doing this one way or another. I'm jonesing for a trip right now.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
I hafta ride my stinking bike to DC.....

·
Estimator
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maan if I didn't already have other plans in May I'd so be doing this one way or another. I'm jonesing for a trip right now.
Come on Jeff, we can have some fun in the tag team race.

Chuck

·
Estimator
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Still hoping that someone out there from this area is making the trip. I want to see Richard's, Moth Balled Missile Factory and all the Buick Parts on pallet's stacked up to the ceiling in person, I've seen the pictures...

Chuck

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've been the last 3 years, but I used up all of my vacation time with some family stuff so I have to pass this year. Don't forget to email Mrs. Kirban for your free lunch ticket. Tell Shane hi for me.

·
Estimator
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just cancelled my room, issues with the power logger/ ECM / TTSD chip /wiring gremlin, one of the four.... Driving along and hit a decent bump, car shut off, pull over check the parameters on the chip, can't check them because there bouncing all over the place. Unplug the USB cable that feeds the scanmaster, have to pull the cover off the kick panel to do this. Plug the wire back into the power logger, and the parameters are solid but values are incorrect. Reset all the parameters and I'm good for a day or two, then drive somewhere and shut the car down. Come back two hours later and start the car, notice the a/f gauge is fat and car running like ****. Check the parameters, bouncing around, repeat above process.....Thinking time to buy another power logger, to trouble shoot, I guess :rant: Electrical issues are the worst for me .......

Chuck

·
Estimator
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Stephan, that is a good quality print, I printed it out. For the record right now I hate my car... just saying, I'm in hate mode...

Chuck

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
Chuck did you ever get the super duper velcro I mentioned?

One way you can test to see if it is the ECM/Powerlogger...just let the car idle then knock on the kick plate to see if something acts up.

Also just for shits n giggles check the battery cables and make sure they're not shorting on the manifold.

Sounds to me though like a powerlogger connection problem. Remind me next time I can actually make it to meet...maybe we'll do surgury and I'll mod the USB jack for ya :)

·
Estimator
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
You guys are not going to believe this, stay up last night and swapped out the ecm with the latest spare (after getting frustrated with the car)..... so far so good. Drove it to work today, back home, then out to eat with the family.... and back again to the house. So at work today the forecast was tearing me up, Thursday 68*, same Friday, Sat... so the trip is back on, goal is to leave at 3am and get there by noon for the lunch on Thursday, plan on getting some pictures....
I did find a bad ribbon in the ecm, looks like a screw got into it.... but getting a spare power logger, for the sake of having a spare.

Jeff, I'll keep the operation option in mind.... battery cable is good, just under there last weekend to change the oil, I went Buck Wild on the Velcro Strips inside the ecm, had a tough time getting the board off the ecm that was in there yesterday.

Chuck

·
Estimator
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Went to bed at 10pm woke up at 1:30am, on the road by 2am, rolled into town @8:30am.... Car ran good.

Had a great day, everyone is a Buick turbo nut like us !!!!

Put the car on the dyno tonight, Bison had at it, will post the video and pictures up after I get back home.... it had been a dyno virgin until today....
The guy before me took over a hour to put out over 300 to the tires, no alky
in his defense. By this time it's almost 8:30pm and everyone had gone to eat, but Bison wanted to see what the motor from York had in it. I told him that I drove it there and wanted to drive it home, we did three pulls.
1st pull at 10.5 A/F ratio 24lbs boost 475 hp approx.(my conservative street tune that I've been running for a while)
2nd pull at 10.8 a/f 24lbs 493 I believe.
3rd pull 10.8 @ 25 lbs 511.9 HP at the tires, and it's still in one piece...(more to be had but good enough for street tires :wink:)
The above values are close, I have everything documented with pictures and video to help my horrible memory.

There are other MAGNA members down here :headbang:

Chuck

·
Will Boost 4 Boobies!!!
2,768 Posts
Sweet numbers man! Post video/pics when you have a chance.

·
Estimator
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Pictures

Jason,

Mustang Dyno, if that means anything.

Made it back home, one hick-up, nut in back of alternator came loose, thanks to Dr.Paul for the on the side of the road phone guidance (I was sure my alternator took a sh*t, as I watched the scanmaster volts drop to 9 then the wide band shut off) tighten the nut back up in the back where the wires hook up and waited for someone to give me a jump.
Had a great time, would recommend everyone put it on the calendar for next year, you won't be disappointed.
Murph, his Father and Dr. Paul where there, it was great to see them!
Picture links:

https://picasaweb.google.com/84BuickGN/20130502ThursdayPicturesVideoS?authkey=Gv1sRgCLPN5s2eg-aXPA

https://picasaweb.google.com/84BuickGN/20130503FridaySPictures?authkey=Gv1sRgCLOX-_b9rc_Kcg

https://picasaweb.google.com/84BuickGN/20130504SaturdaySPicturesVideo?authkey=Gv1sRgCP_rxuT8k_6TBg

Chuck

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Great pics! I will have to put that on the calendar for next year.

·
Will Boost 4 Boobies!!!
2,768 Posts
Nice Mustang's usually read lower then most dynos (Dynojet, dynocom, etc) Either way a dyno is good tool to help tweak/tune a car. Congrats!

·
Estimator
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
for what its worth
real world before the AF changes on dyno..

your 11.1 et at 123mph was approx 550

your best mph (127.78)indicates 600hp ..thats enough for a 10.67 ET

johnny only put down little over 400 on andersons dyno
and yet real world based on mph (121) he was 520hp and on ET (10.96) it was 555
Yea, that 127.78 was with the fresh 6262 24 lbs at the line and ? About 30 on the top end with boost creep, but no knock.... I have the PL file. I'm ready to take the headers off again and weld repair them or replace them, same with the down pipe, both have been repaired a few times.
I still believe that was my best road trip with the Buick yet, completely blown away by Richard Clark's Facility.

Chuck

·
Buick Hypochondriac
3,236 Posts
Agree with Doc. Definitely a good time. Made the trip last year. GN ran great the whole way. Missed it this year obviously. Hopefully next year.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts