Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of ya'll run tubro timers? If so, what kind? It seems like a good idea so as not to burn up the seals, etc..., without having to sit in the car and idle it. I was wondering if a Blitz Mk(i think 3, but not sure) would be able to be used w/ it becasue my friend has one on his WRX and is going to sell it soon.

·
Registered
92 Posts
its a good thing on any tourbo car let car run to cool turbo exstends life just my opinion thumb_up cheers

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
I personally would spend my dollars elsewhere and leave the timers to the ricers. Think of how long 1987 era turbos last on these Buicks. A lot of cars probably still have the stock one in service. The blow off valves and turbo timers look great in the pages of a magazine. Of course that's my opinion! loser

·
I'm the Best!
14,818 Posts
Orlando_87GN:
I personally would spend my dollars elsewhere and leave the timers to the ricers. Think of how long 1987 era turbos last on these Buicks. A lot of cars probably still have the stock one in service. The blow off valves and turbo timers look great in the pages of a magazine. Of course that's my opinion! loser
agreed.. normaly after a run i let my car idle with the hood up for a few min then shut it off

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
That would be great here in NY. Leave your car parked and the engine running cooling down the turbo. ugh eek!

·
Registered
226 Posts
not much need to worry about it getting stolen.as soon as u put it in gear or press on the brake the car shuts off

·
Registered
71 Posts
hahahaha.. yea go ahead and not put a turbo timer in .. all because its a ''ricer'' mod.. let your turbo get ceased.. the apexi turbo timer will let your car idle and you can go ahead and pull out the key.. you dont have to worry about it getting stolen because once someone hits the brake peddal it will shut off... these days you can get it for less than a $100 but the bad part is i doubt they make a wiring harness for the gn .. so youll have to hard wire it in.. a turbo timer is a great idea for any turbo car.. saves the life of the turbo .. unless you want to sit in the car for a few minutes and have your dates ask questions why..

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Anyone have a clue how long it takes to cool down a turbo at idle?

I guess the 30 seconds it takes your date to get out of the car and drag all her stuff with her.

Besides if you are a few seconds late you can really check out her butt good with a valid excuse.

Waste of $$$ for something you should do free anyway...

·
I want a Z06
6,024 Posts
TT3kgtVR4:
hahahaha.. yea go ahead and not put a turbo timer in .. all because its a ''ricer'' mod.. let your turbo get ceased..
I have not once seem evidence that showed bearing failure because of improper "cooldown".

Thats one of the biggest wives tales of all time...

Nobody around here runs turbo timers on a Buick, we all race and beat the living crap out of all our cars. I never ever ever let mine cool down, I make a 20+ psi blast down my street and pull it into the driveway and shut it off. No failures yet...

105K miles on the stock turbo when I upgraded and it was still good... The "new" car has 21K on it and I intend to treat it the same way.

Want your turbo to live? Change the oil often, don't buy into the blow off valve, turbo timer crap.

Unless you can show supporting evidence that it trully makes a difference I don't buy it. If a stock turbo will live 100K miles without one then it shows there is nothing that need to be "fixed"

<small>[ November 22, 2003, 12:13 PM: Message edited by: TTA89 ]</small>

·
Registered
71 Posts
depending on how you were driving it.. these days turbo timers let it idle for however long it needs to be.. but if you want to go ahead and replace your turbo all because turbo timers are crap.. then be my guest.. but its just my opinion that id rather pay $70-$90 to save the life of my turbos.

·
I want a Z06
6,024 Posts
TT3kgtVR4:
but if you want to go ahead and replace your turbo all because turbo timers are crap.. then be my guest.. but its just my opinion that id rather pay $70-$90 to save the life of my turbos.
This is exactly what you don't understand. We do NOT have excessive turbo failures on Grand Nationals. Most turbos go for well over 100K miles on a Turbobuick without any need to "idle" them down.

A turbo timer is a product created for a problem that does not exist for the Grand National. If you want to spend the extra money it won't hurt anything but won't generally help it either.

In the early days of turbos they had lots of failures due to design flaws, this is where this "myth" that they need to be idled down comes from and is nothing but BS with todays Turbos.

Spend your 70 bucks somewhere else and leave the products that don't do anything to the ricers wink

<small>[ November 22, 2003, 01:23 PM: Message edited by: TTA89 ]</small>

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
They aren't crap just a waste of money for something you can do yourself for free. :)

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
TT3kgtVR4:
depending on how you were driving it.. these days turbo timers let it idle for however long it needs to be.. but if you want to go ahead and replace your turbo all because turbo timers are crap.. then be my guest.. but its just my opinion that id rather pay $70-$90 to save the life of my turbos.
I currently own 2 turbo Regals and have owned an 85 T-Type. Only 2 or 3 times did I ever let my 85 cool down. I use to floor it the whole block before the turn off to my drive way, pull in to the garage and turn it off. If any car should have fried a turbo it should have been that one. The car had 160K on it and the turbo was like brand new.

I have never ever had a stock turbo fail. What about semi's? They put on a million miles with no failure or turbo timer. Like previously mentioned it is not needed for these cars.

Sorry if we sounded harsh, but Welcome! Hopefully we can help you out in your pursuit for a GN.

·
Registered
64 Posts
It truly is a myth that a turbo timer will make any turbo last longer. As long as you don't shut the engine off while it is running at 5000rpm's then the turbo is forced to slow down anyways. The lack of air going into the engine will simply cause excessive drag on the compressor wheel slowing it down just like it does when you let off the gas after a WOT run. Running the engine at idle will simply let the exhaust housing cool off a little (relative term, try touching it after mild driving or even just idling) and might help but even that is debatable if it isn't glowing to begin with.

The drive down the return road at the track or even pulling into the garage is plenty of time for everything to return to normal and allow your turbo to last just as long as with a turbo timer. Hell, just slowing down from 110mph will cool off the exhaust and slow down the turbo enough to be safe.

·
aka: mOtOrHeAd MiKe
6,603 Posts
I am running one.

HKS Type-1.

I use it from time to time. And it has G-tech like features built into it to.

But, there are tonnes of fools on the other board buying those up for $40 a pop NQA.

I got it because I auto-X my car... bit more abuse than your standard run down the 1320.

Do what you feel is best.

<small>[ November 22, 2003, 05:06 PM: Message edited by: mOtOrHeAd MiKe ]</small>

·
Registered
64 Posts
Well at least yours has more features that you are able to use. As for autocrossing your car, I don't understand why you would need to let it idle longer, was the turbo spinning faster than a run down the ole 1320, or are you refering to the heat issue, if so then it makes some sense but still isn't worth the money in my book since you could simply sit there for a couple minutes and do the same thing.

·
I'm the Best!
14,818 Posts
here we go another troll.. like i said to each their own. my gn's turbo sees a very hard and rough life. my stocker (on rebuild due to seals) i beet the crap out of it. i mean 19psi shooting down over and over again and its still tight.. it leaks alittle oil (crapy rebuild). the new one is gonna get the same life. and for what i do at the track i nromaly open the hood (just a crack) goin down the return road i look my slip over when i get to where i'm parked open the hood let it idle for about a min then shut it off. why am i gonna pay for something that shuts my own car off?

·
Registered
71 Posts
im not saying that the gn's have turbo failure.. infact most cars dont have reports of turbo failure.. but it still happens sometimes.. ive seen it happen.. a turbo timer is way of playing it safe... and no im not a troll..

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
TT3kgtVR4:
im not saying that the gn's have turbo failure.. infact most cars dont have reports of turbo failure.. but it still happens sometimes.. ive seen it happen.. a turbo timer is way of playing it safe... and no im not a troll..
Just curious, How did you come to the conclusion the turbo failure was caused by turning off the engine immediately and not having a turbo timer installed dunno

·
Registered
71 Posts
the oil in the turbo is hot.. and if it cools down to fast it hardens and builds up.. and eventually over time it can cease a turbo

1 - 20 of 27 Posts