Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm going to attempt to swap out my turbo tommorrow, & I'd just like as many tips as I can get. I won't have computer access tommorrow, so I'm printing up whatever I can find. I've printed the instructions on GNTTYPE, & unless someone tells me different, plan on following them step by step. I have a stainless oil feed line, so I'm just going to flush it out real good. Do I need to change the drainback tube gasket, & if so can I find one in a local parts store? This is the metal tubing under the turbo correct? I'm not changing the d/pipe this time. For some odd reason, it normally takes me 3 times as long as others to do these type jobs on my Buick.
Should the TE44 line up pretty good, or does it normally have to be reclocked in some way? Some of you guys could do this in your sleep I'm sure, so ANY additional info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
My return line gasket was still in good shape so I reused it. Presoak all the exhaust side bolts in penetrating oil so that they will come off easier. Also, since the inlet on the TE series is shorter than the stock or TA inlet bell, your intake piping from air cleaner - maf - turbo might be too short. And put the wastegate actuator hoses on before installing the turbo, much easier to do on the bench.

Mike

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tips. I thought about the maf pipe & the non-existing inlet bell on the TE44, & from looking at it, I figured there was enough room to just move the maf pipe closer to the turbo. I guess if there's clearance problems somewhere with this, I would just need an additional turbo hose where the original inlet bell was. I think I've got one laying around somewhere. If anyone knows for sure that I will need another, please advise.

·
Surely you jest
453 Posts
How did it go? It looked pretty good when I left. By the way, nice shop!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Joker & others, everything went ok, until it came to clocking the turbo to line up the compressor housing with the intercooler inlet. We got it to line up, but the wastegate actuator rod wouldn't reach the stock d/pipe swing arm thingamajig. We tried rotating the actuator around the compressor housing to no avail. It was either to much one way or the other. I know we must have been missing something, but after working with it for a while, & a few choice words of discouragement, we made a little bracket & bolted it to the actuator assembly to make it work. We made sure that it could be taken off if need be & put back the way it came on the turbo. I didn't put the Houston d'pipe on this time. The only thing that I could think was that the turbo was set up the way it was for the Houston pipe, not the stock pipe. Maybe we weren't doing something right, but that's all we could figure. The arm is not binding or anything & seems to work fine. I'd like for someone to explain to me how they got theirs to line up with the stock d/pipe without a little modification. I'm all ears. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Oh, you didn't purchase a new actuator for the TE? What John Craig and others do is take a stock type actuator cut the ear off and weld or bolt it to a compressor housing retainer.

Mike

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ordered a new TE44 with the actuator so I could adjust my boost, just like everyone else. What do you mean exactly? The actuator assembly did have a few different holes in it, for rotating it where you need it,I assume. I didn't know I had to specify that I wanted a new assembly. With a new turbo, you should get a new dang actuator assembly correct? What am I missing here?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is the swing valve arm on the stock d'pipe in the same position on the Houston d'pipe. If so, I must have not clocked the turbo correctly for it to reach. The actuator assembly on the TE44 sure looked brand new to me. Something I forgot to add, we also had to twist the part of the actuator where the nipple is for the "Y" hose to make it reach. When I say "twist", I mean we rotated it around about two inches. I hope this didn't hurt anything.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Wastegate is in the same place for both stock and TH dps.

The actuator should have fit as delivered from John. Hard to visualize what you are describing. Because of a diffrence in hole spacing on TE turbos, the actuator bracket must be modified a bit to fit....should have come from John ready to go. Seems like I recall the angle being slightly different but no big deal.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Steve, I agree that it should have been made to fit. I just spoke to someone at Limited Engineering, & he told me that sometimes a little bit of modification to make them fit is not unheard of, & should be fine. He told me to test the actuator with a air compressor & a regulator. I was just worried that because I had to rotate the "nipple" section of the actuator around some, it might not work correctly. He said with 12-13lbs of air pressure, the rod should move the swing valve on the d/pipe. I'm going to check it out to make sure. Thanks for the comments.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
You will really be happy with it, I think....

Got into my son's T the other day after playing with the alky a bit and could hardly drive it. It has a TE44 and it is so responsivie compared to mine which has a bigger turbo...I was jumping like someone new to a stick shift at first...giving it too much gas and it was moving instantly...ideal street turbo.

------------------
------------------
Steve Wood

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional.

86 GN bought new, 87 T-type-81 El Camino with GN drive train-basically stock 86, 94 Caprice 9C1, 69 SS396 Camaro Convertible

·
Surely you jest
453 Posts
Joey, did you ever plastigage or match the flapper to WG hole? It looked real close.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Steve, I believe I'll be real happy with it as well. It has been described to me from others too that for a street driven car, it's great. Joker, I never did match it up. We were so involved in just getting the turbo set up, that it slipped my mind. Go figure. I'm going to be putting the Houston d/pipe on real soon, maybe next weekend, & I'll check it out then. Thanks for stopping by & helping out. I'll get with you later in the week & let you know what my plans are. Have a good one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts