Turbo Buick Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys

I need to get some advice on turbo selection, as I'm about ready to purchase the "big ticket" items to complete my combo. And of course, I don't want to buy twice.

My background and combo progression is as follows:

Hotwired Walbro pump, adj. fuel reg, stock turbo, stock IC, THDP, 2 1/2" exhaust,fresh valve springs, Jay Carter street chip, 255/50/16 BFG Comp T/A's. Launching w/o boost netted a 13.4 @105 with 2.2 60's (running 100 octane and 20 psi).

Since then I have added: MSD 50's & lubrant chip, CAS V4, SMC Alky kit, and MM Boost Commander. Did not get to the strip last year with new combo.

This spring I want to finally upgrade the stock turbo. The car has over 100k miles, and I was going to freshen the tranny and maybe get a Vigilante Torque Converter, so my stall
speed is flexible up to 3000 depending on what turbo I choose. Would like to stay with stock heads & cam.

So, what turbo would you recommend along with a good stall speed which would eliminate any lag? My overall goal is a trap speed of 115mph. BTW, did I mention I HATE TURBO LAG?
Car is 95% street driven. Keep that in mind! =o)

Currently I am debating between: PTE-51, TE-60, TE-61. Remember, max stall I'd want to go is 3000 with stock heads, cam, and looking for a min trap speed of 115mph.

Thanks in advance for any advice and sorry this was so long!

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
I say TA-49.

But it really boils down to "how fast do you want to go?"

Also, I don't think you will be happy with a TE-51 and a D5 style converter.. I think you would need one of those high dollar 9" converters. I am just going off my bad experiences with a TE-51 and a PMAC 2800 stall (loosened D5).

------------------
Email Address: mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

Current Combo: Stock Turbo, V4, MSD50's, TH DP, JayJackson 62mm TB, 16position MaxEffort Chip.
12.35 & 108.39 Street Trim.

G

·
A TA49 can be made to work, but with 50lb. injectors, THDP, CAS V-4, and etc., more turbo might be needed keep this combo happy.
If you plan to step up to a smaller 9" or 9.5" converter, your turbo selection choices become broader.
Understanding that you will retain the stock heads and cam, a Limit 61 or 62 series, or PT&E's equivilant turbo sizes can be made to work well.
However, if you eventually plan to re-do the motor , you already have 100k on the clock,
and go for good heads and mild cam, we would suggest a Limit TE45 or PT&E PT64. You have your choice of housings, depending on when and by what method you want to see the most power, bottom, mid, or top end. We like mid and top end.

This big a turbo is best suited for good heads and a small converter (which you are now considdering) but if you want to buy the up-grade only once, get the bigger turbo, cause you can get it to work fairly well, in the meantime, with a good chip and smart tuning.
You have more than one selection to contemplate, but we like to considder the long range.
We have customers with internally stock motors, running the Vigilante and a TE45 very successfully.
Reverting to your 100k motor, suggest you replace the timing chain and do a compression and leak-down test along with the other PM issues a motor with those miles deserves.

Ron

------------------
Ron's Custom Automotive
Certified NJ Emission Repair Facility
1-800-718-7667
GSCA # 2306 / PR Director
www.ronscustomauto.com
[email protected]

·
I got it figured out
5,272 Posts
Hi Vader,
FWIW heres the combo I have on my wifes car that has run 11.6's at 115 plus.
TA61, 009's, stock cam, stock IC, 10" 3200 stall conv, cold air kit, a Jim Testa chip.

Anyway just some additional info for you. Best of luck with your choice and keep us posted on how you make out.

Regards,
Rich from Rich's Auto in New Jersey
[email protected]

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rich

Is there any lag with your wife's combo? I really didn't want to go with more than 3000 stall, and I HATE turbo lag! Thanks again for the info!

Chris

·
I got it figured out
5,272 Posts
Originally posted by VaderV6:
Rich

Is there any lag with your wife's combo? I really didn't want to go with more than 3000 stall, and I HATE turbo lag! Thanks again for the info!

Chris

Hi Chris,
There is no problems with lag on the wifes car, car spools up great.
I have to credit Jim Testa's chip burning ability it was his chip that really seemed to wake the car up the last half of last year and in Bristol. After the car ran great in Bristol I told him "Jim this thing spools like mad on the line" he then went into some chip burning lingo which I don't understand....lol. Car ran on a rope with zero retard....ask Jim he can tell you more as to what he did with the chip. Chris also forgot to mention I run one deltagate on the crossover of wifes car....love them deltagates.

Anyway if you need any more info feel free to email me. Best of luck as always and keep us posted on your progress.
Regards,
Rich from Rich's Auto in New Jersey
[email protected]

·
Registered
14 Posts
Vader V6,
I say go with a TA49. I have a similar combo and it REALLY woke up my car. Since you hate turbo lag, I would say go with the stock housing or the Prescion housing. I have the Presicion and love it. HTH

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm with Ron, go with the TE-45 from John Craig. I just got one and will be running it with a stock motor, art carr 9", and 55# injectors until I can afford heads and cam. you wont have to run nearly as much boost as a TA-49 to get 115 mph and you may be able to do it on pump gas

------------------
Justin 87 GN
Walboro 307, hooker duals w/test pipe, mini mag chip, 9" K&N, adj fpr, adj wastegate, free mods, soft shoes, s-10 cyls, line lock, 979 valve springs, air bags, pinion snubber, B&M Tranny cooler

1 - 8 of 8 Posts