Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the difference between TA, and TE. But how does the TE pass auto inspections? It won't allow the breather hook-up. Also, does a TE perform noticeable better than a TA? And lastly, will the difference between a PT(A or E), and a "regular" TA or TE be noticeable on the street?
George W
Raleigh
'87 T, stock turbo, 30 lb injectors

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Really depends upon having a very sharp inspection guy. The TA has a removable inlet bell mouth, the TE does not. The stock turbo has the vent tube connection on the inlet whereas the TE does not as you point out. Between a 49 and a 44, no one has ever been able to demonstrate a superiority of the TE44 over the TA49 in spite of the slightly bigger compressor.

In the larger turbos, there may be a hair more performance out of the TEs as the charts on the TR website show or the vendors'.

The PTE exhaust housing does allow a bit more flow and better top end. It is claimed that it allows a bit more top end and, yet, retains spool. Some swear by it, others say it has more lag. I have only seen a couple of them and they seemed to work a bit better.

Oh, you have to modify the wastegate actuator bracket a bit on the TE's as the bolt spacing on the compressor housing is different.

[This message has been edited by Steve Wood (edited January 19, 2002).]

·
Registered
284 Posts
Would do you mean by "It won't allow the breather hook up"?
If you are referring to the valve cover to turbo inlet bell tube, get rid of that piece of crap as soon as possible. All it does is fill your intercooler/intake with oil due to turbo suction. Put a breather on the end of the valve cover if you haven't already.
Even if you are going for stock appearing, it's not acceptable to leave the tube there.
Assuming that's what you meant......

------------------

Best time so far: 12.78 at 107.5mph on radials, 2.05 60 ft
Stock Turbo/IC/injectors.....
Car weight without driver 3610 lbs
Ported Ford IC on the way......... :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
I think he meant visual Emissions Inspections. You'll have to fake a hose going to the turbo. None of the aftermarket turbo's have a hose connection.

Some guys in California have done this, maybe they'll reply.

·
Registered
743 Posts
When I bought my car, the previous owner smogged it a week before(law around here). They inspected the car and made him take off the breathers, but it's a piece of cake to do. Though, I have the stock turbo and inlet bell. They are strict around here, but it is possible to find a shop that may not inspect very well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.