Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Calling all gurus!

What is the benefeit of having equal length compressor wheel blades as opposed to the unequal length ones?
Turbonetics uses unequal length, where Precision uses equal length.

What is the biggest exhaust wheel I can put in the stock exhaust housing?
I would like to go with some sort of 60-1 TO4-B combo to upgrade my stocker along with 50lb injectors.

------------------

Best of 12.56 at 106.4mph, 1.75 60ft on pump gas/SMC alky
Stock Turbo/injectors/Ford Powerstroke IC.....
Car weight without driver 3640 lbs

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ttt...........someone here must know this one!

------------------

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
I think so[this could get wordy.
]
The idea is to allow the air to enter the inducer side of the compressor wheel more easily at high boost.
Here's why:
You need smaller "packages" of air to accelerate them more easily through the vanes of the wheel.
Now at high boost levels[ie.high wheel speeds],the air is swirling in the same direction as the wheel[you've heard about not removing MAF screens because it screws up your MAf readings without a special chip?That's because you get a "tornado" in the inlet pipe and the screens are there to straighten it out going over the element for proper readings].
Now if the air is swirling in sympathy with the wheel direction,it will try to enter the inducer at an angle[not good for inlet efficiency].
As the compressor wheel rotates,the trailing edge of the vanes create vorticies,or eddies[low pressure areas].
The more vane edges you have,the more vorticies you have,and the more low pressure areas you have at the inlet of the wheel.
So you "stagger" every second vane downward into the gap.
Now you have a bigger gap for the air to enter[a bigger "gulp" if you will]and you split it up for better velocity coming through the wheel and out the exducer[the large diameter].
Make sense?

------------------
Give em' hell!

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
No, but I am very impressed at the double talk! Dubya needs you in Washington!

Okay, it may make sense!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply......

So what you are saying is......
Unequal length blades are better at moving air than equal length blades due to the fact that they split up the low/high pressure air coming into the turbo?
On the equal length blade compressors, they have 2 blades close to one another. Does this accomplish the same thing as the unequal blades?
I am just trying to decide what kind of wheel to use in the compressor side of the turbo, the end result being a T04-B or similar.

------------------

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Not that this has anything to do with your post FROST but how the hell did you get a powerstroke intercooler mounted on your car? Aren't those intercoolers huge? Wouldn't that make your spool up time really slow?

Thanks

------------------
Currently driving a Nasty A$$ GST mitsubishi.13.80's though! Looking everywhere for a GN help!!

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
Originally posted by FROST:
Thanks for the reply......

So what you are saying is......
Unequal length blades are better at moving air than equal length blades due to the fact that they split up the low/high pressure air coming into the turbo?
On the equal length blade compressors, they have 2 blades close to one another. Does this accomplish the same thing as the unequal blades?
I am just trying to decide what kind of wheel to use in the compressor side of the turbo, the end result being a T04-B or similar.

Interesting.You're trying me,aren't you?

At lower wheel speeds,the two slots should both work.
But at higher speeds,the narrower slot will have a harder time "pulling" in air.
So I would expect that style of wheel to work better at lower to medium wheel speeds,becoming less efficient than a comparably sized stagger vane wheel at higher speeds.
Where are you planning to look for the most performance out of the turbo?

------------------
Give em' hell!

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
Originally posted by Steve Wood:
No, but I am very impressed at the double talk! Dubya needs you in Washington!

Okay, it may make sense!
Thanks Teve.I like Dubya.

------------------
Give em' hell!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The intercooler?
Yes.
It's damn big.
No high beams.(My choice mind you, could have kept them with good planning, looks mean with blackouts instead...)
I believe James Banning has some good install picks, just do a search on Powerstroke intercooler......
I used 3" piping from the turbo right up to the throttle body, so it is a tad laggy, but not too bad.
I would like to install/build up a bigger turbo to fill up that big cooler and all that piping.
I will be using the turbo exactly how the stock one is being used now......
Some street cruising and some track time with the odd highway "merge".
I was just really curious as to why Turbonetics uses the unequal length blades in all their turbo's(Yet, the older Cheeta turbos had equal length blades....)and Precision uses equal length blades in the TE-44, 60, pt 54 etc etc....
Are these turbo's that specific to Buicks in order for them to make big power at low rpms?
Sorry for the babbling.....

------------------

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.