Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
never under estimate ;)
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys i need your help picking a turbo for my car. it is mostly stock i have 60lb injector and chip combo from TT as well as adj fuel press. reg and gauge, wlbro 340 with hotwire kit is on its way. car also has a cone filter and scanmaster. the rest of the drivetrain is stock

my intentions are to have a nice 12 sec street car and i know im going to need a few things to get there. i have been looking at turbos because the seals in mine are starting to go and i also have some shaft play in all directions. i dont know what turbo i should get thT Is going to spool up fast enough for driving in the city but will still put me in my seat on the highway. i see alot of guys with the external wastegates, is that really necessary to get in the 12's. how fast can i go with an internal wastegate and the stock downpipe? i want to change the turbo and then eventually get an alky kit so i can increase the boost. if you guys can send me some link to places where i can order a turb or d/p that would be great i live in toronto, ontario, canada

·
never under estimate ;)
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
I doubt that a different downpipe will make any difference in the 12's.

·
OK! Who Farted Again??
17,852 Posts
For 12's since your turbo is bad I would go to www.fullthrottlespeed.com & get an entry level turbo to suit the stock converter. 12's = a chip that you have, good tires & a boost controller for $50. Then some 100 octane or better yet an alchy kit from Julio at http://alkycontrol.com/
Thats all you need for 12's all day long.

·
never under estimate ;)
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so an entry level turbo like the ones from full throttle will just bolt right up with my stock setup or will i have to change anything? also what is the difference with all these entry level turbos if they are all the same price?

FULL THROTTLE SPEED - Buick Entry Level Turbos

·
OK! Who Farted Again??
17,852 Posts
Without talking Dual ball bearing etc etc the Basic upgrade turbo choice is dependant on mostly your converter stall so you gain max performance for the $$ spent. So if your keeping the stock converter, make sure the turbo matches converter or you will have turbo lag. Now if you want to spend for a good 10" converter, then upgrade the turbo size BUT it's not needed for 12's. Stocker is fine, altho a rebuild is as much as a new one these days with shipping etc considered. Plus the warranty is better. :yup:

·
OK! Who Farted Again??
17,852 Posts
Equivalent (sp?) to 44 or 49 will suit you well. Lots of choices these days but the 44 & (49 looks stock) are both very good turbo's. ran one for years, sold it locally & then it went to 2 other guys here & still runs strong today! :headbang:

Problem is once you taste the power you want to uppgrade to 11's! :yup:

·
Older--but Getting Wiser
2,250 Posts
Good used TE44 or TA49 (stock appearing inlet bell) will do you just fine (saving $$), then add alky or higher octane gas (say 103) & you're there (12's)...new/different chip req'd, of course,,,

·
SPOOLIN
213 Posts
earl is that sarcastic or is that a good idea to do this? i was reading somewhere that LT1 valve springs are compatible with out motors and are infact stronger
I heard that to, i just dunno which ones to get.

·
Premium Member
4,825 Posts
No sarcasm there. GN's had a few week links from the factory. Valve springs were one of them.

You can't make power with leaky valves.

·
Buick Hypochondriac
3,236 Posts
I heard that to, i just dunno which ones to get.
I installed a set of Comp 980s about a year ago and no problems yet. Also installed new seals as well.

·
Save me from myself!
3,115 Posts
I'd stay a mile away from that downpipe. I've had nothing but good turbos from fullthrottle but that downpipe came broke once then the replacement was all kinds of wrong.

·
Registered
13,053 Posts
Good used TE44 or TA49 (stock appearing inlet bell) will do you just fine (saving $$), then add alky or higher octane gas (say 103) & you're there (12's)...new/different chip req'd, of course,,,
X2 !! along with valve springs and call it a day. Will def wake the car up. :headbang:

·
Registered
378 Posts
x3 on the valve springs....I think I know who GNKidd is...Welcome again :)
Replace the valve springs and you will be golden.
If you still want more juice, the 44/49 turbo's are great because you can always find them for sale used by people looking to go faster.

·
never under estimate ;)
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
jus wanted to say thatnks guys for the help, i got a te-44 and all the necessary gaskets, but i am waiting till i have the week off to install it so i can change all my intake/intercooler hoses and clamps while i am at it.. anything else you think i should be checking out whil i have the turbo off? i also got a manual boost controller and modified my p/s breather so it does not go through the turbo anymore. once i get things apart i am sure i will have more questions.. thanks again!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.