Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I know this question gets asked a lot and depends on the setup, I don’t know what turbo to get. I've narrowed it down to either the TA49 or the TE60. Right now I’m going to run (this is my daily driver):

.020 over with forged pistons
37 lb. injectors with Hi Po fuel pump,
2400 performance stall converter,
K&N 9" (ram air coming soon),
with 4.11:1 gears,
(everything else stock)

From what I gather the 49 would better fit my car now, but I eventually hope to go to a THDP and 42 lb. injectors and a bigger stock placement intercooler. So my question is Will the TE60 work well w/ my car the way it is now (I'm aiming for mid to high twelves w/ current setup). Or will the 49 carry me as far and fast as I wanna go (eventually mid to low twelves)? And should I consider the A/R .82 housing on either?
Any Info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Start with the 50lb. injectors first.

My 42's are just about done with my PTE51 and I want a 60 series turbo to go with my 3K stall converter someday.

Plenty of good chips for the 50lb. inj.

49 for the 37 or 42 lb. inj.

I'd skip all that and get 50's with a 60 series and some stall.

Forget growing a combo. pick one and stick with it and tune it.

Wish I did.

------------------
WE4, 140K, Daily Driver, PTE51, 43lb. Bosch, THDP hollow cat., Postons Headers, 2 1/2"SS Ultraflows and pipes, 16 pos. Maxeffort thumbwheel 20*, EGT/Bilsteins, Boxed Cont. arms/Airbags/snubber,Blizzak snows, Nittos DR, 307, adj.reg./ SMC alky, 9 gauges,scamaster and D.Scan,BSTC, translator and 31/2"MAF, V4 inter. DYNO. TESTED!!!: 356RWHP 529ft.lb. Torque PROVEN!!!

GN loaded, car #2. 112K miles. Accufab reg. 160stat.,Scanmaster, Reds 93 chip, Mease downpipe, hollow cat., stock muff., SMC alky., J.J. 62mm.T.B., RJC power plate, Bilsteins, Moog springs, HR Parts mount and rear arms, Nittos.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Put the stock gear (3.42) back in and get rid of the 4.11.

------------------

Jim: 87 GN with: TA-49/PTE .63 housing; stock motor, transmission and converter; MSD 50#; CAS V-4; 3" DP; ATR 2.5" SS exhaust; 62 JJ TB/stock plenum; RJC power plate; Translator w/3" MAF; Bigmouth air system; SMC alcohol; Walbro 340; BFG DRs; and Extender 100 chip with 23* timing. Best ET/mph with w/93 octane + alcohol were 11.961/117.05.

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Wow didn't see the gears.

Yes, change them back first.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The gears came with the car, i dont have the stock gears. why is that so important? I would think 4.11 would make it run stronger?
thanks for the replies

------------------
86 GN work in progress right now (to be completed Nov 02)

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
4.11 would be OK for the 1/8 mile but not for a daily driver. Your rpm's will be too high for a daily driver and gas mileage would be horrible.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
altho some have managed to get lower gears to work, most have had better luck close to the stock ratio.

These cars have a low rpm range and a flat torque curve starting way down in the range.

It helps to have a fairly high ratio to load the turbo so it will spool at low rpm. Unless reworked well, the tranny is much more durable in the first three gears as well. Low gear is about useless with a 4.11 rear coupled with a 26" tire, also.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I see.
thanks for the info everyone

------------------

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What kinda shape are the gears in? and where abouts is Geen Gove, b/c I'm in Gainesville and maybe I could just pick them up

------------------

·
Registered
24 Posts
I did a lot of reading on this site and on Turbobuick.com, before I made my decision. I went with #50msd. injectors and a TE60 turbo wirh a .63 exhaust housing. Car hauls A$$, a lot faster than stock. Just my 3 cents ( inflation ya know ) Tarey D.

------------------
87GN Stock Motor 50 K mi.TE 60 with.63 ext.housing #50msds. 62mmTB. by Jay Jackson, Powerplate,Jim Testa chip, Hotwired XP.KB.adj. FP reg. PTE Front Mt. Boxed upr.&lr. cont.arms, Urethane bush. Carrera shocks,Mike Kurtz Racing trans,2800stall.GNX rear seat brace. GNX trans cooler. 4core rad.Cyberdyne Digital Dash. Casper Knock Gage .BGC Exht. elbow &3"downpipe. 2 3/4"dual exht.Kirban springs & Chrome stuff. Spectre Braided Stainless hose&Alum. Fittings Ramchargers Translator,Scanmaster 2, Westech EGT. gage & more mods on the way.

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
That's exactly how I would do it.

------------------
Give em' hell!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts