Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Mark Z
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the thinking about buying a TA-49 for my 87 GN and wanted some advice regarding the combo I am putting together. Originally I wanted to get a te/ta 60 but based on my overall goals (high 11's) it seems like that would be overkill. Now I want to go with the TA-49 and a set of MSD 50 injectors. Here are some of the other mods I already have on my GN (98K miles)

340 Walbro
Hooker 2 1/2 exhaust
Terry Houston Downpipe
Adjustable Fuel Pump & Wastegate
Turbo Tweak Street Chip
TPS-Tec(Throttle Enhancer)
ATR Cold Air Kit

For those of you running similar set ups what kind of performance can I expect? Manufactures tell you 11's in the 1/4 mile but it is hard to gauge if that is realistic. Plus is running a stock convertor sensible or is will there be too much lag? I would appreaciate any help you guys could provide.

·
I'm the Best!
14,818 Posts
hell why go so big on the injectors? i'd say a good pair of blue tops and maybe with the stock turbo you got it! with my stock turbo, no more then 21psi a ok launch (1.87) and a very tired motor i did 12.53 @107. if i could have got the 60' down i dont see why a low 12 is out of the question. but the 49 will definatly get you where you want to be.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
You may want to consider larger injectors (60s). You only want to buy once and they will work with stock ECM and a lot of turbos. TA-49 will get you into 11's.

·
Irradiate This!
734 Posts
If your stock converter is in good shape you should be ok. If not, a stock replacement like a restalled D5 or similar may help. Its very hard to get to high 11s on a stock turbo, not very common. The 49 sounds like what you want (and you can use your current wastegate to save a few bucks vs getting a TE44).

To get into the high 11's you're still going to need a good tune and a good launch. For tuning, I'd look into getting an EGT or wideband along with Directscan. For the launch, a good set of tires like Mickey Thompson drag radials and a well working (not necesarily expensive) suspension setup. Boxed lower control arms, maybe a better rear sway bar, removing the front sway bar, whatever works for your car. The key to getting good track times on the small turbos is getting a good 60ft.

I agree that you might as well get bigger injectors. MSD 50s should be more than enough.

·
Got Homebrew!?
201 Posts
Have you checked out the GT series turbos? The GT3255A or GT3255E would more than cover your current ET goal & leaves you more room to grow if you decide to step it up on down the road. I agree with the advice to buy the biggest injector you can right off the bat. I went with 50's when I built my car up & am seriously wishing I'd waited a bit and gone with the high impedance 65's or 75's.

·
Mark Z
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I already bought the 50's (shoot!) but regarding the GT series turbos I don't have any info on them. What is the advantage? I am pretty new to the game and trying to minimize repurchases as much as possible.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts