Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.K. my car is running good but I think it is slightly rich throughout the load/RPM range. For tuning do I order another chip with 10% leaner fuel or should I go to a translator+ or other? Is a thermocouple at the turbo inlet the best way to set A/F?

TA-49 THDP MSD 50s Race chip 26deg 26 psi 110 octane 340 hot adj fuel V-4 TurboLink trans brake slicks

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
What makes you think it's lean? Have you stopped to consider what a 10% change in fuel would do to the A/F? That is like going from 12/1 to 14.5/1

What would a thermocouple in the turbo inlet do other than read inlet air temperature?

You can drop your fuel pressure a couple of pounds which makes a very small change in fueling if cell 15 is locked in the chip....function of the square root of (new pressure divided by the old, and see if it runs faster or slower.

You can use an egt gauge to monitor exhaust temps and see if it runs faster at 1550 than at 1500 WHILE being sure you are not incurring retard.

You can use a wide band 02 and determine at what A/F the car runs fastest by making multiple runs. Some cars run fastest nearer to 12-1. Others run faster nearer to 11-1. Generally the really fast cars are closer to 11 and the more normal cars are in the upper 11s....no magic numbers! Every car depends upon combo, type of monitoring, ambient conditions, etc.

You can go to the dyno and make several runs and determine at what A/F the car runs the best and then add a couple of percent more fuel and go to the track and make sure it is not detonating.

You can use a programmable chip like the MaxEffort or Extender and make several runs adding and subtracting fuel until you find the highest speed......

But, whatever you do, don't blindly remove a huge amount of fuel without having a reason to do so.... :)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I meant turbine inlet.

If I go to the extender+ with a 3" MAF will it be a hassle to set up so I at least get the same performance as with the stock set-up?

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
I would use the 3.5"..but, no, it should run well

·
Registered
65 Posts
Steve what must be done to accomidate a 3.5 MAF? Do you need to run 3.5 hosing. I'm thinking of a Hot Air application.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
They sell an adapter...short piece of hose

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
I would think 26lbs of boost on 110oct you are at your lean limit. Get an EGT and see what temps you are reaching crossing the traps. For now watch your knock guage. What is your ET & mph?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
112 MPH but no good ET with the TA-49 due to other problems (no trans brake, no 3000 converter and foundation brake bleed problems)now all solved but the track's closed for the season.

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
T49 will work with any converter. And Trans brake is great but needs a tranny to go with it.(billet parts) I would do the EGT next. It can save you many head gaskets.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts