2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you guys tune your cars on the street? Just wondering:cheers:

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tuning

That says a lot,so doe's he punch in a bunch of numbers off the sm and hope for the best? Because it's a little hard to get the car in to 3 gear on the street. So have you had you car at wot on the street for the full pull?:dunno:

·
Where are my hands?
436 Posts
No he has a PL and a tonne of knowledge. I am a smooth talker so if the cops get us I can wiggle my way out. Never have him take the chance driving... he watches the PL.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tuning

No he has a PL and a tonne of knowledge. I am a smooth talker so if the cops get us I can wiggle my way out. Never have him take the chance driving... he watches the PL.
So you have had your car at wot on the street up to 5500 rpm in 3 gear, So what were your O2s at that tune?

·
Where are my hands?
436 Posts
Bill doesn't trust narrow band readings, not reliable, he only uses wide band

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Tuning

x2
Power Logger & Wide Band all the way here too! :D

A few 3rd gear pulls enroute to the donut shop. :wink:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tuning

Bill doesn't trust narrow band readings, not reliable, he only uses wide band
So your car hasn't seen 5500 or over in 3 gear because you didn't answer the question.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tuning

x2
Power Logger & Wide Band all the way here too! :D

A few 3rd gear pulls enroute to the donut shop. :wink:
So how long does the 3 gears pull go for? From what speed to what speed or from a dead stop to 3 gear?

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Tuning

So how long does the 3 gears pull go for? From what speed to what speed or from a dead stop to 3 gear?
Just starting to play with it Dan....it's a new set up so I'm relatively new to the PL & Wide Band. I know it's gonna take some time. Will take it to the track eventually "one day".

:cheers:

dave

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
tune

That's what i thought no ones car is tune.:cheers:

·
Where are my hands?
436 Posts
I not exactly sure what you mean by that statement. I believe you are inferring that my car is not in "tune" because I drive it to a Tim Horton's and not to a drag strip. That being said my car has an all original long block with the same head gaskets put there by the GM employees in 1987

I enjoy my car.

It has a great "tune" thanks to Bill.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tuning

I not exactly sure what you mean by that statement. I believe you are inferring that my car is not in "tune" because I drive it to a Tim Horton's and not to a drag strip. That being said my car has an all original long block with the same head gaskets put there by the GM employees in 1987

I enjoy my car.

It has a great "tune" thanks to Bill.
Yea it's a stock motor ,i wouldn't what to hurt it either,Light to light i guess so That being said enjoy your car good luck.:cheers:

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
No ones car is in tune because they never hit 5500 in 3rd gear?? :rolleyes:

There are far more guys looking for driveability then they are maximum performance.
If they're car will never see 5500 in 3rd gear there is no sense whatsoever in tuning to that level.

For the Few cars that do go to the track we baseline at the dyno and tweak after every pass at the track.

You guys need to realize not everyone wants to race their car....

Clearly you and your pal have an agenda here, I know you 2 love to hate me.

·
YOU KNOW MY NAME!
5,673 Posts
No ones car is in tune because they never hit 5500 in 3rd gear?? :rolleyes:

There are far more guys looking for driveability then they are maximum performance.
If they're car will never see 5500 in 3rd gear there is no sense whatsoever in tuning to that level.

For the Few cars that do go to the track we baseline at the dyno and tweak after every pass at the track.

You guys need to realize not everyone wants to race their car....

Clearly you and your pal have an agenda here, I know you 2 love to hate me.
Dan's his own man and I have nothing to do with his posts or replies. The only agenda I have is hanging out/racing with the guys from the Belleville/Kingston area. As far as wrenching/tuning...the only persons car I touch...is my own. If you have an issue with Dan...then I politely ask that you take it up with him...and leave me out of it.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Well I know one thing for sure. I need a tune very bad. My buddy took me for a ride in his 2011 Subaru STI with a wicked tune and 3inch downpipe for mods and I thought to my self the whole time **** **** **** the Turbo T needs a tune. Because a 10 second car will run 14's if the tunes bad. But in terms of tuning for the street or track its all based on the owners taste. Some guys are serious about track times and some guys like me want a SAFE tune that is fast yet very safe with all numbers well inside the normal areas. I'm waiting for my combo to be put together before I start tuning EX: new F body Rad, 3 inch downpipe , Fuel pressure gauge , Wide band O2, And a 5.7 Alky chip. In terms of alky is there any down side besides the fact you could **** yourself and forget to test prime the system before you head into high boost.

Anyways I hope to learn how to tune my owns cars so I can help people down the road with tuning. I'd love to see more guys my age buy Buicks at all the car meets I go to I love the look on peoples face when they see a factory turbocharged v6 from the 80's sitting under the hood of grandmas Buick.:sw::6::headbang:

·
Turbo Buick Noob...
61 Posts
Well I know one thing for sure. I need a tune very bad. My buddy took me for a ride in his 2011 Subaru STI with a wicked tune and 3inch downpipe for mods and I thought to my self the whole time **** **** **** the Turbo T needs a tune. Because a 10 second car will run 14's if the tunes bad. But in terms of tuning for the street or track its all based on the owners taste. Some guys are serious about track times and some guys like me want a SAFE tune that is fast yet very safe with all numbers well inside the normal areas. I'm waiting for my combo to be put together before I start tuning EX: new F body Rad, 3 inch downpipe , Fuel pressure gauge , Wide band O2, And a 5.7 Alky chip. In terms of alky is there any down side besides the fact you could **** yourself and forget to test prime the system before you head into high boost.

Anyways I hope to learn how to tune my owns cars so I can help people down the road with tuning. I'd love to see more guys my age buy Buicks at all the car meets I go to I love the look on peoples face when they see a factory turbocharged v6 from the 80's sitting under the hood of grandmas Buick.:sw::6::headbang:
The way I always remember to prime is to hit the button as I pass a specific house on my street, it's just something to jog my memory every time I head out. As soon as I hear that subtle bogging sound I know I'm GTG.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Bill and I are tuning mine at the track. Powerlogger and AFX Wideband for the win!

[email protected] on pump gas with a shitty 1.76 60' foot. Hoping to go high 11's on pump gas only in street trim. We're starting slow and working our way turning things up one pass at a time. Soon we'll start pouring some C16 and putting down some real numbers.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts