Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Moderator/Procrastinator
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm tuning the beast. I'm noticing with 94 octane pump gas I'm getting no knock at all and O2's are just slightly fat at 820. The cars top end has really woken up - it can really spin them hard through first and second now. But I noticed the BLM were down near 108 at idle - is this too rich? what kind of problems can this cause? What is the best way to fix this? Should I lower FP some more until it looks good at idle and then check [email protected] and boost levels and KR? What is the best way to approach this? I need to reset my IAC, can this have anything to do with a rich idle? Also, my car likes running open loop. Should I just disconnect the O2 sensor once I get it tuned and run it like that? And how do I lock the TCC with just a paper clip? Which pins do I have to jumper? Thanks a bunch

------------------
Mike85GN

http://members.home.com/scorched62/turbobuick.html
Proud member of the Manitoba Grand National Association.

·
Resident Embraer Driver
1,160 Posts
You got the right Idea with your tuning, just lean in out a tad,

locking the TCC is the upper right hand corner pin and the upper left hand corner pin. when locking the TCC its a good idea to change your tranny fluidmore often if you havent allready done recently

Joe

------------------
1986 Grand National
TA-49, 009's, Hooker cat back, and all the other usual stuff

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
If you have no knock retard and the o2s are slighly rich, bump the boost another pound and see if you have no K.r. This will also lean it down by default.

108 is rich on the blms but still within the ecms range of corrections. I would not worry about it for everyday driving.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Mike
You are on the right track. You need to list your mods in you sig to make it easier for us to trouble shoot. I.e. Chip, turbo, injectors, static FP, Scantool, etc.
From the info you have given I would first reset your IAC and TPS to the proper specs and depending on who's chip you are running, set the FP to their recomendations. This will give you a base line to start tuning from. This should also clean up your idle. You are right about dropping the FP and monitoring the knock and 02's. I agree that you are a little fat and can afford to drop the FP a few lbs.
Leave the 02 sensor hooked up unless you are running a Thrasher or MaxEffort chip. You need it! It tells the ECM whats going on and the ECM will compensate for any changes. How, what and where is dependant on the chip programming. Current chip made by the well known burners, (Jay Carter, Joe Lubrant, Ram Chargers, Jim Testa, Red Armstrong) have all got them down to a fine art so you won't go wrong with any of them. If you have a lot of mods, your chip may need to be tweaked a bit to get the best out of your set up.
To lock up the TQ put the paper clip between pins "A" and "F" on your ALDL connector.

HTH
Paul

------------------
1972 Toyota Celica with a 87 TR drive train.

·
Moderator/Procrastinator
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My combo is fairly basic with Walbro pump and adjustable regulator, adjustable wastegate, downpipe and catback. Joe Lubrant street chip, stock turbo and injectors. Static fuel was set to 44 psi, but that was someone else's gauge, don't know how much I'm pushing now. I've just been using my turbolink to get everything on track. I haven't really played with boost too much, I've been mostly tuning with FP as the boost levels seem quite good at this point, right around 15psi. I'dlike to get any basic problems squared away now, then consider trying to tune in for 16psi on the street.

------------------
Mike85GN

http://members.home.com/scorched62/turbobuick.html
Proud member of the Manitoba Grand National Association.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Again you are right on the money. Just do what you have been saying and you won't go wrong. You can either lower your FP at the boost level you are at, or up the boost a bit and see how the 02's and knock #'s look. IMHO I would up the boost.

Paul

1 - 6 of 6 Posts