Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran my car last friday with old stock injectors and a reds93 chip the best i could grab was 13.9 at 100mph a few times.My 60footer was 2.2 to 2.3

Last night i ran the car at the same track and the ambient temp was 20degrees cooleer with 30%less humidity .I ran with my new injectors(57high z"s)and a custom chip.Even though my 60footer last night was 2/10ths quicker (2.1)than last week i could only grab 96 -97mph and the car stayed in the 14.1 et it did hit 13.9 once earlier on when the ambient temp was warmer.

Now both nights the car ran at20pounds boost (no knock)with 94octane;i tried raising and lowering but 20pounds is the number!
The car ran best last night with 39#line off and i lost mph with less and more fuel.
The car used to start up hard but with the new injectors it starts great!
The chip had 19/17.50 at sugessted 16pounds boost for 94 octane.
MY NEW FRIEND is sending me another chip to try with more timing and less fuel and i will run race fuel at the track if need be.
My question to ya'll is;What chip numbers do you guys see with my similar setup that can assertain faster times than 13.9's at 100mph
My car runs smooth and i run 15pounds air in nitto drag radials and stock turbo ,intercooler and the mods listed below .I will say that this car is tight and i feel it should be getting low 13's right now?
Maybe when i get the new chip the car will respond better than last night. powersix

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I would say the timing maybe the difference.
I don't know how you are running 20psi with no knock. That must be some good gas.
If I were you, when you go racing, I would add about 3 gallons xylene to be on the safe side.
You will pick up some HP with the xylene, it does not foul 02s, and it will be a safe guard to keep detonation down.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What will be the octane rating if ;i put 3gallons of that xylene in with say 7gallons of sunoco94 ?

If i had a chip with say 27degrees timing with straight race fuel do you think i could hit the 12's realistickly or probably not.

I read that one guy had stock stuff and ran his fastest with 27degrees TIMING FROM ERICSTAGE1 race chip and fuel 20psi boost stock turbo.
He stated that ERIC was at the track and fined tuned the chip for his car that day but he did not say what the times were at the track.

20 pounds boost no knock and only 14.0's at97mph on new injectors and 13.9 at100mph on old injectors and reds93 that is the real HEAD SCRATCHER;seems it should be running faster with 20psi!

Your not eric marshall; are you? Your user name is confusing because of the same initials(ES) and the TURBOTWEAK info on your profile?Anyway thanks for the help ;i'm glad i finally got a response to my post;everyone else must be having a pow-wow :) :)

<small>[ August 23, 2003, 10:46 PM: Message edited by: white shadow ]</small>

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
No, Eric Marshall goes by Eric Stage I.
To run 12s with poor 60s you are going to have to run 106+MPH.
Good gas and a race chip should get you there.
I ran my first 12 with a street chip and xylene/gas mix and had a 1.86 sixty but did 106MPH in the 1/4. You have to make more power to makeup for poor 60s.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just bought two 15x8inch wheels and i plan to put slicks on them and run at least once with them once i get the timing right.

POOR 60footers are all i can afford right now :D

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
You need to go to the other board and do a search in Drag racing for launching techniques.
UNGN's seems to work the best.
Also go to his timeslip history and see what all he did to reach certain times. Do a search for UNGN and then you can go to a link of his time slips.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll go check it out .

ERIC just emailed me and he is sending me an awesome sounding chip that has tons of timing setup for 114 -115octane.

Since my car does not have knock problems should i get a engine strap to keep it from having knock problems?
:)

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
The knock I am talking about is detonation. The kind that will blow you headgaskets.
If he burns you a chip for that octane, you better be running pure 116, so you will have to drain the 94 before putting in the 116. You need to ask someone how many gallons to use. I think you need at least 1/4 tank.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i new you were speaking about detnation,i was just wanting to find out if you felt that using an engine strap is an added plus or not really warranted.Sorry bout the confusion.

PS:that was some good reading on the launch techniques!THANKS headbang

·
Registered
121 Posts
Make sure you get that race gas from paultlers, hes the only one around here that sells c16. Like stated above, if Erik burns you a high timing chip, thats the only gas you should run.

And yes, slicks help :)

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
As he has a stock turbo, and it is a waste of time to crank the boost very high, he may find that he does not need C16. It may slow him down, in fact.

Stay away from engine straps. If you have a bad ds engine mount, buy one of Paul Ferry's poly mounts. When you start going into the tens, you might need one for the passenger side as well.

<small>[ August 25, 2003, 02:37 PM: Message edited by: Steve Wood ]</small>

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
Stay away from the high timing chips and C16 until your car is set up for 26lbs or more of boost. With the chip you have and 94oct gas you should be in the low 13's with drag radials.Wait until you get there with what you have before adding more confusion. You can do better than 2.3 60ft times on a bicycle. Either your pig rich or your smoking the tires. Any friends watch your launch?

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
He is running a peg leg so there is not much he can do other than pump up an airbag which he has not done yet.

But, for a stock turbo that runs out of its efficiency range around 21#, a high timing chip is the way to go. Whether C16 is required to support 21# at high timing is a bit debatable to me.

I would try a bit less and work up the boost. If I could not get 21# without detonation, then I would step up a notch more on the octane.

As he has been told, tho, without traction, he will literally be spinning his wheels with more power. :D

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
True high timing chip will make more power with a high octane but there is less of a chance of blowing headgaskets with lower timing. With a peg leg you need to take baby steps wink I see so many people at the track running C16 and still in the 14's. A few weeks ago one kid came up to me with a GN. After filling with C16 he wanted to borrow my timing light to raise his timing. I told him it was home with my tach and dwell meter.
dunno ugh crazy

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Laughing, too bad you did not have one in the tool box! That would have been worth the price of admission to watch him adjust it!

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Good read guys!
I got a jegs pkg today with my airbags and yes right now i'm pig rich and peg legged.Eric is sending me a chip with maybe around 28degrees and lean the chip down for these57's .I told ERIC that i would prefer having my chip setup for 20-22psi boost on say 105-110 octane and that i will run 115 at the track for a little cushion.That is based on all the good reads you all have sent me.
I'm sending the street chip back and he is going to lean it out more and advance it aliitle for the 57's and 94octane for the street.
KEEP ME STRAIGHT GUYS!THANKS :)

·
Resident Embraer Driver
1,160 Posts
Paulters sells VP 108 right out of the pump, and it works real nice.

Do yourself a favor and buy a posi, even if its a used GM one out of a old camaro, thats what I did, and it wont cost you an arm and a leg.

joe

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i have a posi 10 bolt 8/12 out of my 79 10th anniversary trans am and i asked the guys here the other day could i use it but i really did not get a yes or no.The 79 rear end came with disk brakes. dunno

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
I believe you can use the new center section with your old axles, assuming the spline count is the same.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts