Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all of the tuning capabilities of the new T-Pro can I change timing enough to run race fuel without having a "race" chip?

I would like to add my race fuel, crank up boost, adjust timing, and race. Then adjust for street the same way. Is this off base for the T-Pro?

·
Registered
158 Posts
2 qk 4 u said:
With all of the tuning capabilities of the new T-Pro can I change timing enough to run race fuel without having a "race" chip?

I would like to add my race fuel, crank up boost, adjust timing, and race. Then adjust for street the same way. Is this off base for the T-Pro?
Not a problem at all. With the push of a button, you can change the timing in 500rpm incraments. IE you can run less timing at 5000 rpm than 2500.

Also, if you get all the boost hardware with the pro, you can control the boost through the PRO box as well.

·
Gone and almost forgotten
1,042 Posts
With the T-Pro it is possible to adjust the timing however it requires the use of the Extender Pro chip.

Unlike the previous Trans +, the Trans Pro is a remote timing controller, and uses one of the Output signals to talk to the ECM and control timing.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
2 qk 4 u said:

Yes.
No.

After watching Bob use his, while at BG, I'm really impressed.
It's really a neat devise.

·
Banned
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I need the T-Pro, 3-bar Map sensor, extender Pro chip, harness and what else. I'm saving up for this mod. I ditched the LT1/Trans+ idea and going for this one. I'm hoping I'll be happier with this.

I like the idea of having control of the timing as well as the boost right at the box that I can mount inside the car.

·
1,042 Posts
The MAFT Pro is a really powerful device, tons of features and adjustability.

However it is not for the novice tuner, that is for sure. If you hop on the FullThrottle tech board there have been a couple of posts speaking negatively about the device, mostly baout how complicated it is.

If you want a plug-play-run type device, the Trans Plus is more for that. But if you are a moderate to advanced tuner and want to squeeze out every ounce of power then the MAft Pro is it....

·
Banned
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice Real-T...I'll consider that. I'm all for squeezing every bit of power out of it but not squeezing the crank out of it. :D

·
1,042 Posts
I hear ya on that, I got a pair of headgaskets and broken main cap that prove it.....likely my "wall of breakage" will continue to grow...

BTW, I was speaking generally about the level of tuning capability and didn't mean to imply that you are a novice tuner....

Just wanted everyone to know that is reading this what to expect....

·
Banned
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Real-T said:
I hear ya on that, I got a pair of headgaskets and broken main cap that prove it.....likely my "wall of breakage" will continue to grow...

BTW, I was speaking generally about the level of tuning capability and didn't mean to imply that you are a novice tuner....

Just wanted everyone to know that is reading this what to expect....
That's fine, I am fairly new at tuning anyway. I just got mine to where it's running good with a stock MAF. (it took 5 autozone mafs to get a reading over 220. I had some header leaks and a big leak at the 3 bolt turbo flange that was some power escaping from me. It's more on the Butt-o-meter than ever and on the timeslip. I'm still leaning out on the top end and I think it's Maf related. That's why I'm looking forward to tuning with the Pro. Last time at the track I got a 1.755 short time on 245/50/16 Firehawk Radials. Nothing drag about those and on an 8lb launch. It's going through the 1/8th at 91 now but the quarter i have to let off and it rolls through at 100 so I know I have a ton of power available at the top end if I can defeat the gremlin.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
It's amazing how people find things to complain about. Yes, to some it might be complicated, but with some logic, it's not that bad. Not to mention alot of people really don't know how to tune. The *norm* seems to be just crank in all the timing you can, until you see knock, and then back up .0005d.
Taking notes, looking for trends, and measuring performance are the key elements of learning how to tune.
If you look real close, you'll also note, that all the aftermarket ecms have gotten alot more complex. Why?, to extract the max from an engine means having the tune as sharp as possible.

Simple is good, only when it's complex enough to do the job properly.

·
Retired
1,966 Posts
Doc1of7 said:
It's amazing how people find things to complain about. Yes, to some it might be complicated, but with some logic, it's not that bad. Not to mention alot of people really don't know how to tune. The *norm* seems to be just crank in all the timing you can, until you see knock, and then back up .0005d.
Taking notes, looking for trends, and measuring performance are the key elements of learning how to tune.
If you look real close, you'll also note, that all the aftermarket ecms have gotten alot more complex. Why?, to extract the max from an engine means having the tune as sharp as possible.

Simple is good, only when it's complex enough to do the job properly.
Words to live by.

If I had the bucks for the Pro, I'd be switching over in a flash. But to round it all out perfectly you need the 3 bar stuff PLUS a good Wideband O2 setup.

·
Registered
119 Posts
is it possible to change boost levels at different rpm, or gears, say I wanted to decrease boost at the top of third gear is this an option, ordered mine BG should be seeing any day

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
TOM J said:
is it possible to change boost levels at different rpm, or gears, say I wanted to decrease boost at the top of third gear is this an option, ordered mine BG should be seeing any day
Here's a list of the options for the MAFTPRO
http://www.maftpro.com/info.shtml

Looks like using the aux input will give you 3rd gear boost control.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Check out www.fullthrottletech.com

The TPro has a learning curve but once you read the manual and ask some questions you'll get the hang of whats going on. It can do so many things and for the price vs. what it can do I think it's a must have. Plus there are alot of other slick features that Bob is working on for the next software revisions. Very exciting!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts